cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autostart doesn't work on kubuntu 22.04

autostart doesn't work on kubuntu 22.04

jonas11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm using dropbox on kubuntu 22.04, and recently autostart stopped working. I've been using it without much trouble for years before, on prior versions of kubuntu. I think the autostart function also worked initially after the latest upgrade, but now it doesn't anymore.

I've tried removing the `.dropbox` and `.dropbox-dist` directories, and when logging in after doing that the program seems to start and gives me a dialogue box informing me that it has to download the proprietary daemon. After confirming that it lets me log in and the program works as intended, but when I log out and in again, the dropbox doesn't start anymore.

I came across [this](https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Autostart-not-working-correctly-Kubuntu-Ubun...) thread which recommends trying an "advanced reinstall", but the linked website seems to malfunction both on chrome and on firefox, and I can't expand the "Linux" section (and neither whe "Windows" or "Mac" sections).

What can I do to get dropbox to autostart again? Without this functionality it's pretty much useless for me, and I have already gotten in a bad situation once where I couldn't access interview documents remotely that I assumed had synced.

Edit: why is "autostart" not a valid label?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jonas11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks again for your reply! I now ended up calling `dropboxd` directly, via this desktop file:

❯ cat .config/autostart/dropboxd.desktop  
[Desktop Entry]
Exec=/home/jonas/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd
Icon=
Name=dropboxd
Path=
Terminal=False
Type=Application

That seems to work! I hope nothing bad can happen when I call dropboxd direclty, and not via /usr/bin/dropbox!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@jonas11 wrote:

I came across [this](https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Autostart-not-working-correctly-Kubuntu-Ubun...) thread which recommends trying an "advanced reinstall", but the linked website seems to malfunction both on chrome and on firefox, and I can't expand the "Linux" section (and neither whe "Windows" or "Mac" sections).

Hi @jonas11,

Hmm... Yes, seems there is some issue. As a temporary workaround (till a fix) you can expand everyone section as click on the right arrow (pointing down) and after that push space key. 😉

About autostart: Do you have any issues running Dropbox by hands? 🧐 Or when you run it using either command or through the menu everything goes well. What happens if you run following command in a terminal window:

cp /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop ~/.config/autostart/dropboxauto.desktop

Does now (after restart) the application appear working? If not yet, can you post result of following command (executed in a terminal window again):

dropbox status

What do you mean with:

@jonas11 wrote:

Edit: why is "autostart" not a valid label?

What kind of "label" are you talking about? 🤔 Can you post a screenshot?

jonas11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Здравко, thanks for your quick reply!

* With your trick with the space key I could read the advanced reinstall instructions and I tried them, but it didn't help.

* The command `cp /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop ~/.config/autostart/dropboxauto.desktop` didn't help either.

* the command `dropbox status` in the terminal after logging in gives "Dropbox isn't running!"

* I can start the program manually e.g. through the menu, that works. Only the autostart doesn't work. After starting through the menu and, the command `dropbox status` in the terminal gives:

/usr/bin/dropbox:614: DeprecationWarning: isSet() is deprecated, use is_set() instead
>  if self.stop_event.isSet(): break
> Up to date

* Regarding your last question, if I ask a question on the forum I have to choose a "label" from a list in order to post it, see screenshot. But it's no big deal, I think I chose something at random.

dropboxforumform.png

jonas11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I thought I had replied to this, but the reply seems to have disappeared. So here we go again:

* I was able to do the "advanced reinstall using your trick with the space bar to read the help page. But it din't help.

* Copying the desktop file didn't help either.

* `dropbox status` gives "Dropbox isn't running!"

* I can start dropbox eg from the menu, that works. After that, `dropbox status` gives

> /usr/bin/dropbox:614: DeprecationWarning: isSet() is deprecated, use is_set() instead
> if self.stop_event.isSet(): break
> Up to date

* the "label" i'm talking about is when you compose a new question, you have to give it a "label" for you to be able to post. For this question I eventually chose "Setting up the apps" after "austostart" wasn't allowed. I'm not attaching a screenshot since my answer disappeared when I posted it with a screenshot yesterday.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@jonas11 wrote:

* Copying the desktop file didn't help either.

Are you sure have used the same command above and not just drag and drop (or similar)? 🤔

jonas11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Yes, I used your command to copy the desktop file.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hmm... 🤔 Strange! Can you post the result of following command:

ls -l ~/.config/autostart/dropboxauto.desktop

By the way, you can avoid the disturbing message as follow the provided direction within the message itself - i.e. replace the deprecated method name and set newer one (they are synonyms, actually). This could get achieved by following command:

sudo sed -i s/isSet/is_set/ /usr/bin/dropbox

😉

jonas11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Sorry for the delay, I wasn't at my computer. Here is the output of `ls -l ~/.config/autostart/dropboxauto.desktop`:

> -rw-r--r-- 1 jonas jonas 309 Oct 15 20:47 /home/jonas/.config/autostart/dropboxauto.desktop

Let me point out (as I already wrote in my first message) that when I delete the .dropbox and .dropbox-dist folders and then logout and login again, dropbox *does* autostart and give me the dialogue asking to download the daemon. But when I go through the setup and then logout/login again, it doesn't start anymore. So the overall autostart mechanism seems to be working, and starting dropbox through the desktop file also works (via menu), but somehow it fails when autostart tries to launch the desktop file on login. 

Is there a logfile somewhere maybe where I can look in, that dropbox would write into and record a failed startup attempt?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Unfortunately Dropbox doesn't provide a way to access application logs (I least I don't know for a such). Don't ask me why. Such access would give many useful information, but... 🤷

You case seems similar to one issue of mine; in spite not the same the solution may work for you too. The pseudo script there represents just the idea; you may implement it in completely different way, but keep the name the same and make sure your script resides earlier in your PATH (earlier than the Dropbox control script)!

Good luck.

jonas11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks again for your reply! I now ended up calling `dropboxd` directly, via this desktop file:

❯ cat .config/autostart/dropboxd.desktop  
[Desktop Entry]
Exec=/home/jonas/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd
Icon=
Name=dropboxd
Path=
Terminal=False
Type=Application

That seems to work! I hope nothing bad can happen when I call dropboxd direclty, and not via /usr/bin/dropbox!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    jonas11 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?