cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS app: "Convert all to classic integration"

iOS app: "Convert all to classic integration"

anmipo
Helpful | Level 5

I have noticed that Dropbox for iOS (v358.2) has a new action in the settings. Under `Native Files.app integration`, there is a button titled "Convert all to classic integration". But it is not documented anywhere.

What does it do?

How is the "modern" integration different from the "classic" one?

3 Replies 3

zacw
Dropbox Engineer

I'm looking into updating the documentation, I think it was an oversight that it wasn't created, sorry about that.

There are now 2 mechanisms for how the app talks with the Files app (or other apps interacting with Dropbox files):

• Classic, what has existed in the app for several years
  • Modern, which is a new implementation using newer File Provider APIs

In all cases, Modern is going to give you a significantly more reliable experience as well as enable things like using Dropbox as a "Downloads" destination in Safari or folder selection in other apps.

puchat
New member | Level 2
Hi @zacw,
I just wanted to point out that actually the Modern implementation seems to be somewhat buggy.
When using it, other applications (such as Keepassium) do not automatically see that there’s a new version of a particular file in my Dropbox. I have to manually perform some steps (like refreshing the file via the Files popup with Dropbox integration).
However, when I switch back to the Classic integration, everything seems to work fine (meaning other apps can automatically detect when a particular file has been changed and use the new file version right away).

Please take a closer look at the integration, as this feature seems to be incorrectly implemented in the Modern option.

nascent666
Explorer | Level 4

@puchat and @zacw

I, too, was trying to use the modern implementation with Keepassium and I could never get it to see my Dropbox sync. The .kdbx file was updated everywhere -- on my desktop, then synced with the cloud -- but when I went into Keepassium, it would "download" the .kdbx only when initially setting up. It never synced after that until I switched the setting from Modern to Classic. Now it works great. I've been trying to fix this for weeks. There is definitely an issue with the Modern API.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

nascent666 Explorer | Level 4
    puchat New member | Level 2
    zacw Dropbox Engineer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?