cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing online-only files from Linux terminal

Accessing online-only files from Linux terminal

fernan a.
Explorer | Level 3

I have a large Dropbox folder (Dropbox for Business) that on some of my computers is set to "online-only", but I want to make specific files available offline. I know I can do this via right clicks in the File Explorer window for individual files or folders.

Also, when accessing files using the File Explorer (double clicking with the mouse), Dropbox notices and downloads files on the fly.

However sometimes I work with files from a terminal (Windows Subsystem for Linux, WSL).  In this case, accessing the files using terminal commands (cat, grep, editors like vim, etc.) do not result in files being downloaded. It is as if Dropbox does not know that files are being accessed. Seems like there is no connection with the WSL. However this other post shows users have the same problems in MacOS terminals. So this is not restricted to WSL or Windows. 

I am not requesting support or help in understanding this issue. I know it doesn't work. I am requesting this feature. It should be nice to be able to have either 1) a dropbox CLI command that would let us specify which file(s) or folder(s) we want to make available offline from a shell; 2) or have the WSL provide information to dropbox on files being accessed through the terminal. 

Thanks!

I'm using Windows 10 or 11 in different computers, WSL running Ubuntu 20.04. Dropbox v192.4.4605

1 Reply 1

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @fernan a., thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

We really appreciate your feedback on this.

I will make sure to pass your comments along to our team.

Make sure to also check this thread, for additional info.

If you have any questions, let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?