cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Open Files from Dropbox - unspecified error

Cannot Open Files from Dropbox - unspecified error

MechEng
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am using selective sync for dropbox. I am unable to open any files other than pdf. To open excel or word files, I need to right click the file, and select "Smart Sync", Local. How can I avoid manually syncing every file? The double click on the file should automatically sync the file for me? Thanks for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @MechEng, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community!

Previously on this thread, a user was able to resolve this by reinstalling the Dropbox desktop app and their Microsoft Office. You can check more on this here

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @MechEng, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community!

Previously on this thread, a user was able to resolve this by reinstalling the Dropbox desktop app and their Microsoft Office. You can check more on this here

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MechEng
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you! My Coworker reinstalled the 64 bit microsoft instead of 32 bit that came with the laptop and it worked!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That's great, @MechEng! Glad to hear everything's resolved now. :sunglasses:

If anything else does pop up though, just give us a shout. In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

mofftop
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having this issue. I will not reinstall Dropbox and Office every time that I need a file. From what I can tell, Dropbox users have been having this unspecified error issue for over a year. Can you fix it, or at least provide guidance that won't cause me to waste 30 minutes of reinstalling whenever I need a pdf from my Dropbox?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mofftop New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    MechEng New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?