cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Changing owner of Dropbox Paper Doc b/w business and personal accounts

Changing owner of Dropbox Paper Doc b/w business and personal accounts

zwilson
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Really loving Paper! It's the closest thing to my vision of a perfect collaboration tool! I recently created and linked(?) a business account to my Personal Dropbox. Now I've unintentionally created and added collaborators (clients!) to a business-related Paper Doc in my Personal Dropbox account. This has confused my clients because my Personal Dropbox account is associated with my personal email address rather than my business email address. Is there any way to change ownership of this Doc to my business account so my clients aren't confused about who they are collaborating with preferably in a more elegant way than copy/pasting into a new Paper Doc or having to resend notifications (just future notifications, thanks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @zwilson

That’s awesome! I’m so glad to hear that you’re enjoying Dropbox Paper! :heart_eyes:

As for your questions, it currently not possible to transfer ownership of a Paper doc. As the owner of a doc, the current adjustments you can make to the status of other collaborators is Can Edit”, Can Comment”, and Remove” from your doc. You can do this by clicking on the "Share" buttom at the top-right of your screen. 

Screenshot 2017-07-10 at 11.19.08 PM.png

The best advise I can give, is if you transfer (or less elegantly put, copy-paste” 😜) the content from your Paper doc, into a new Paper doc located in your Business account. 

Additionally, you're also more than welcome to submit Paper feedback on this. If you access Paper through the web,  click on the ?” at the bottom right of your screen & you’ll find a Feedback” option where you can submit a request. 

Also, let me know if you have any additional questions, or there's anything else I can help you out with. 

Thanks and have a great day, 
Karina

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi again @zwilson

I’m Jane; I know that it’s been some time since this was posted, though I’m reaching back out with good news! 🎊 

You may keep in mind that an owner of a Paper doc can now transfer ownership by pressing Invite > the dropdown :downwards_button: next to the new owner > Make owner, as below

Screenshot 2018-08-30 at 1.20.25 AM.png

Here are a couple of pointers that could also be helpful: 

#1. This feature is currently only available to Paper docs, as folder ownership can’t be transferred.
#2. Ownership can only be transferred to another member in the doc. 
#3. Only the current doc owner can transfer ownership. In a team, a team admin can transfer ownership if they have access to the doc.

[Edit: Doc ownership transfer is currently only available to members on a Business team, while  you won't be able to transfer ownership of a Paper doc if you're working on a personal account.]

I'm always here to keep this conversation going, so just as usual & please do let me know of your thoughts or additional queries! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @zwilson

That’s awesome! I’m so glad to hear that you’re enjoying Dropbox Paper! :heart_eyes:

As for your questions, it currently not possible to transfer ownership of a Paper doc. As the owner of a doc, the current adjustments you can make to the status of other collaborators is Can Edit”, Can Comment”, and Remove” from your doc. You can do this by clicking on the "Share" buttom at the top-right of your screen. 

Screenshot 2017-07-10 at 11.19.08 PM.png

The best advise I can give, is if you transfer (or less elegantly put, copy-paste” 😜) the content from your Paper doc, into a new Paper doc located in your Business account. 

Additionally, you're also more than welcome to submit Paper feedback on this. If you access Paper through the web,  click on the ?” at the bottom right of your screen & you’ll find a Feedback” option where you can submit a request. 

Also, let me know if you have any additional questions, or there's anything else I can help you out with. 

Thanks and have a great day, 
Karina

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi again @zwilson

I’m Jane; I know that it’s been some time since this was posted, though I’m reaching back out with good news! 🎊 

You may keep in mind that an owner of a Paper doc can now transfer ownership by pressing Invite > the dropdown :downwards_button: next to the new owner > Make owner, as below

Screenshot 2018-08-30 at 1.20.25 AM.png

Here are a couple of pointers that could also be helpful: 

#1. This feature is currently only available to Paper docs, as folder ownership can’t be transferred.
#2. Ownership can only be transferred to another member in the doc. 
#3. Only the current doc owner can transfer ownership. In a team, a team admin can transfer ownership if they have access to the doc.

[Edit: Doc ownership transfer is currently only available to members on a Business team, while  you won't be able to transfer ownership of a Paper doc if you're working on a personal account.]

I'm always here to keep this conversation going, so just as usual & please do let me know of your thoughts or additional queries! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

toiletgtanny
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Jane,

I can't seem to find "Make owner" option within the list of invited users. What is happening?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @toiletgtanny, it’s possible that they’re not following the Paper doc yet. Can you check whether their icon is grayed-out on the member list? You can see if they haven’t viewed the doc, once you click on the “Invite” button, it should be next to their name. 

As ownership can only be transferred to another active member in the doc, it would be best to check back with them, as they may have missed a notification when you added them to the doc in the first place. 

Please let me know whether this is the case on this discussion & I’ll do my best to check back with you. Happy Friday! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

toiletgtanny
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello @Jane,

Of course, I was writing about members who did not only have viewed the document, but already made some changes to it. The option to make them owner is still missing – there is only "can edit", "can comment" and "remove".

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Can you recreate the same behavior on an incognito window by any chance @toiletgtanny? If you’re seeing the option to make your colleague the owner of your doc there, then clearing your browser's cache would be helpful. 

Let me know how this option works for you & we’ll take it from there. I’m wishing you a wonderful week ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

toiletgtanny
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello @Jane,

Unfortunately, nor clearing my browser's cache or using Dropbox Paper via incognito mode in my browser (Google Chrome 68, macOS High Sierra 10.13.5) doesn't work for me.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I'm using Dropbox Paper from Poland.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for your prompt replies here toiletgtanny & for taking the time to try my suggestions here! 

Let me have a closer look on your setup through our Official channel. In order to investigate having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end, so as to check on one specific example. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

MH82
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, 

Was this ever resolved? I am also trying to change ownership from business to personal account and do not see the "Make Owner" option listed as you outlined.

Thanks

Need more support?