cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cloud icon with arrow on some folders/files (Mac issue)

Cloud icon with arrow on some folders/files (Mac issue)

boroman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am working with dropbox for over 8 years but since last few weeks some sci-fi things are blocking my workflow with dropbox. I saw cloud icon w/arrow pointing down next to some (random) folders & files. those files are not available when I switch off wifi. I can't find any option in the settings to switch off that. I still have lots of free storage space. I need to have everything offline on every device.

I think it came with the last update. It's reall a mess.

How do I turn it off?

29 Replies 29

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Marita Brewster, I hope you’re doing well. 

Can you let me know if you’ve also installed the latest Dropbox update for macOS? What’s the app version that you’re currently running?

If you right click on your files, do you see the "Make available offline" option?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

boroman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The question is: why we now need to fight with these, and last few years everything was fine? It's the issue/bug on Dropbox side, not client side. Guys! Please fix it...

latelio
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello, I am having the same issues as many people before me – and it is VERY annoying, to the point that I am looking for alternative solutions.

I want all the files on my Computer to be synched on my Dropbox and vice versa. On two macs, I keep noticing that synching is NOT reliable and that I have to sync manually files and folders.

I cannot believe that Dropbox has gone from a no-brainer to so much hassle!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @latelio, sorry to hear you're having issues with syncing.

Could you please let us know the app's status and version as shown on the menu bar of both computers?

Any additional information about the issue you noticed would be very welcome!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

latelio
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm working on a Mac (latest OS) with Dropbox v173.4.6706, which is the latest version as well, I think.

I would like to get back the old behaviour: Whenever I change a document on my Mac and save it, I'd like it to be synched to the Dropbox – and then synched back to my other Computers.

I do not need partial synching or offline documents, just straightforward synching. 

Every day, I have to sync manually a lot of folders and documents manually (they appear with a cloud and arrow icon), which is so annoying that I'm seriously thinking of looking for another solution.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @latelio, have you tried to right click on these files/folders and make them available offline? 

If not, can you give this one a go? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

latelio
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, I did so, and it helped for some files and folders. But others do not become available.

I've opened hundreds (if not thousands) in order to force the change of status. But there are many thousands of files left, in MANY locations. And there are a lot I can't or don't want to open to force synching.

Thanks for your trying to help me, but basically, Dropbox has got so unreliable that it's almost laughable.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @latelio, when you say that some of the files and folders don't become available, does it give you any errors when you try? 

What is the exact behavior of the app then?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

latelio
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Megan,

Yes, there are some occasional messages telling me that something couldn't be completed – but it doesn't tell me which file or folder the message is about.

I've spent A LOT of time to get everything (re-)synchronised, as Dropbox will sync for some time, then tell me that everything is synched (which obviously isn't true), then maybe go on – or not, or only after a restart.

In my opinion, the program doesn't have a clue what has to be synchronized or not. And sometimes, it doesn't even sync if I tell it to do so with files or folders being marked as red – and when changing the icon from "cloud-with-an-arrow" to "cloud". The index (if there is any) seems to be seriously corrupted. And this is a pain in the synchronisation. I REALLY do hope you get this fixed!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @latelio, your comments on our website have been quite helpful, and I will do everything I can to ensure that your voice is heard.

Now, as for the behavior you mentioned initially about changing files/folders and the message that "something couldn't be completed", could you maybe try to re-create it and send us along some screenshots, in order for us to have a visual too? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?