cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cloud icon with arrow on some folders/files (Mac issue)

Cloud icon with arrow on some folders/files (Mac issue)

boroman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am working with dropbox for over 8 years but since last few weeks some sci-fi things are blocking my workflow with dropbox. I saw cloud icon w/arrow pointing down next to some (random) folders & files. those files are not available when I switch off wifi. I can't find any option in the settings to switch off that. I still have lots of free storage space. I need to have everything offline on every device.

I think it came with the last update. It's reall a mess.

How do I turn it off?

29 Replies 29

latelio
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Megan, I've been able to come back to what I wanted on my main machine: Everything gets synchronised automatically. But I never imagined that therefore, I had to tell all top-level folders to be accessible offline. This so weird that I don't trust Dropbox anymore: you have betrayed my core trust.

On another machine, automatic synchronising ist still not working properly: sometimes, I have to manually trigger the download/synchronisation of changed files.

And synchronisation never completes. How do I find out what files it gets stuck on?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We do appreciate your feedback on this, @latelio, and I'm glad you were able to make your folders available offline; if you want your entire Dropbox to be available offline, you can do the same thing with the Dropbox folder itself as well.

As for your other machine, what's the current sync status on that one? You can hover over your Dropbox icon for that info.

Does syncing seem stuck on a particular number of files?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RallyXS
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm so glad I'm not the only one having this issue, I thought I was going mad.  Green circle as I've told Dropbox to save an offline copy, but a cloud next to it and can't open the file no matter what I do.

The comments from Dropbox staff here, literally giving the basics, eg "click for an offline copy" as though people haven't done that, are an insult to people's intelligence.  Just acknowledge the program since the latest update is messed up.

I'm off to find an alternative to Dropbox, anyone got any recommendations?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @RallyXS, indeed, in some cases a folder can have both a green circle with a white checkmark and a cloud icon beside it. 

This means that the folder contains at least one online-only file, but any newly added files will become available offline by default.

Is this not the behavior you see on your end?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

RallyXS
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

No, I have files with those 2 icons, as well as folders.  I've been in touch with support, and it's to do with iCloud, but even turning iCloud off I have the same issue and can't access files.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @RallyXS, what happens when you quit Dropbox, and try to access the file then? 

Do you see any errors?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

vavelar
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, I have the same experience. A single file, with both the green checkbox and cloud with down arrow. Even after I right mouse click and "Make available offline" the cloud arrow stays. Not sure why the picture is fuzzy, but you get the gist.

Behavior is as other have stated. I can't access the file offline until I open it, and THEN the cloud goes away. This is not a practical solution to do with the 50,000 files.

This is NOT working anywhere close to the way it was before Dropbox moved to the new location on Mac.

Question is, what is Dropbox doing about it and when can we expect a fix.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 3.20.19 PM.jpg

 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @vavelar, could you try contacting the support team directly for them to investigate this in more detail?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

jvelasco
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Walter.-

The main problem is that syncing the files by opening them is not a realistic option. I am not connected to the internet all the time. Most of the time I need the files I am traveling and have no internet access. This is the reason I have all the files synced all the time. With this new setting I can not see the files when I need them.

There is no option to sync all the files all the time. You state: "Also note that you can adjust your syncing settings through the app's preferences under the Sync tab, if needed." Can you please specifically explain what are the steps to take to stop this syncing issue? I have tried to change the settings, but there is no such option.

This new update is a real problem!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jvelasco, thanks for the nudge on this and all the information you've shared with us.

With the Dropbox for macOS update, setting how newly added files are stored in your Dropbox account is no longer configured using Preferences.

Instead, this can be reconfigured directly in Finder. Here’s how:

1. Open Finder.
2. Select the folders the default setting should be applied to or select the entire Dropbox folder in ~/Library/CloudStorage.
3. Right-click Make available offline.

This will make the current files and folders contained within your Dropbox folder Available offline, as well as any files and folders you add in the future.

To make newly added files online-only instead, follow the steps above but select Make online-only instead.

I hope this helps! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?