cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Seneca M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi I've been using that COPY PUBLIC LINK from dropbox.com for years and at first it used to actually copy it to the windows copy buffer as it should.  Over the past couple of months it would pop the address as it should but it stopped being able to automatically copy to the copy buffer, but luckily i could still do it myself manually by manually selecting the text and hitting ctrl-c.  In the latest build of dropbox.com, it doesn't even list the address to the file anymore and obviously it couldn't copy to the buffer beforehands but now i can't do it manually either!  😞

so i can't share any files from dropbox.com right now!  😞  I've tried in both google chrome and firefox and same issue with both.  As for which version of windows i'm running, it's the up to date win10....   Thanks in advance.

-seneca

105 Replies 105

dw s.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Further to my post of yesterday, the blue "Copy to clipboard" button is now working correctly again, thank you for sorting this!

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi All

Just to confirm as Rich has pointed out - public links is working again.

Thanks all for reporting it!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Alastair G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Copy Public Link still not working for me. I can still copy it the way KH explains above.

Any ideas?

Alastair G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

OK - a follow-up. In Public Folder, Copy Public Link still does not work. But I can create another folder within Public Folder, transfer file there, and it copies fine. I have just deleted DB from my laptop and re-installed.

Why?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

In Public Folder, Copy Public Link still does not work.

I'm not able to reproduce that. It's working for for me again. Are you creating the link from your computer or through the Dropbox website?

Richard p.34
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

There was probably an update that tested well but did not work in real world conditions. I understand the need for the fix to take so long if it went wrong they needed to take time to make sure fixing one feature did not break another. I am glad that drop box got it fixed and while it was slightly a pain to use the work around I posted on the first page at least I still had full access to my information while they resolved the issue.

Alastair G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Rich R

Thanks. I am using the DB website to do all this. In Public, neither the share button, nor right click on subject then copy public link, work for me.

The ONLY way I can currently copy and paste to 3rd party web site is if I create a folder within Public and transfer it there. I am dealing with MP3 audio files. If I don't do this, I am shown a screen which tells me I have no authority to share files. I then have to create a link, copy it, then do as KH above suggests:  

"Here is trick how to create public link till DB fix it."

And - you stated above that you replaced the Copy to Clipboard link  "years ago"??? I was using it VERY successfully until 2 weeks ago!

Should I now stop using the Public Folder?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I am using the DB website to do all this. In Public, neither the share button, nor right click on subject then copy public link, work for me.

The issue has definitely been fixed. I would suggest clearing your browsing history/cache and trying again, or try another browser.

you stated above that you replaced the Copy to Clipboard link  "years ago"??? I was using it VERY successfully until 2 weeks ago!

No, I stated that the newer Share Link function replaced the Public folder years ago (Dropbox did this, not me, since I don't work for them). At that time the Public folder became a deprecated feature. It hasn't been included with new accounts since October 2012. The only accounts after that point in time that have a Public folder are Pro or Business accounts that opted to create one.

Should I now stop using the Public Folder?

You don't have to, but Share Links work just as well and you can create them for any file in your account. There's no need to put them in the Public folder.

Mohammed L.1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks a lot, Rich R,

I have cleared the history/cache of my MS Edge since I am using Windows 10, and also have cleared the history/cache  of MS internet explorer 11. However, the same issue still persists. When clicking on the 'copy public link', there is no response at all. It looks as though I didn't click on it at all.

Mohammed L.1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks a lot, Alastair G., with respect to your trick below, I think it will not work for screenshots which I need to be viewed inline in 3rd party websites. The way I was used to doing is I generate the public link of an image uploaded to my DB account, and then insert that link in a 3rd party website to be viewed as an image/screenshot inline.

Thanks. I am using the DB website to do all this. In Public, neither the share button, nor right click on subject then copy public link, work for me.

The ONLY way I can currently copy and paste to 3rd party web site is if I create a folder within Public and transfer it there. I am dealing with MP3 audio files. If I don't do this, I am shown a screen which tells me I have no authority to share files. I then have to create a link, copy it, then do as KH above suggests:  

Moreover, you said that your created a folder within the public and transfer it there. What did you transfer and where did you transfer them?

Need more support?