cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable downloads function doesn't work even with professional plan.

Disable downloads function doesn't work even with professional plan.

ozlondon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello

I am doing 30 days of trials with a professional plan but I am not sure if I continue to use Dropbox for one year after the trial.

This is because of the fact that the disable download option simply doesn't work.

I have been trying to change the setting many times, but every time I sent the link with disable downloads feature on, the person who received the link can easily download and edit the files. 

These are the setting I had used before I sent the shared link

ozlondon_1-1683887707945.png

ozlondon_3-1683888030606.png

ozlondon_2-1683887757642.png

Can you please help with this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ozlondon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Megan

Thank you for your prompt help on this.

I have tried again with the steps of viewing only access you recommended by copying the link and directly putting it on the email. it actually works. 

When you click the link, you are required to put a password and the file in the link cannot be downloaded. This is the one I am looking for. Thank you. 

It means that the setting option of the share icon which is a box with an upward arrow is not the one for people who want disabling downloads.

I am wondering what is the purpose of the function in that area as it makes people very confused and frustrated by taking a long time to test and find out the right thing.

I hope that this would help people who have the same issue. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ozlondon, let's jump right into this! 

Is there a chance, that you added the person to the folder directly, or shared a link for editing with them? 

Here's what you can try: follow these step on a brand new folder, in order to create a view-only link. Once that is done, you can proceed and disable downloads for said link. 

You can test it on your end, using an incognito tab on your browser, in order to check if you have the ability to download content, or not. 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ozlondon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Megan

Thank you for your prompt help on this.

I have tried again with the steps of viewing only access you recommended by copying the link and directly putting it on the email. it actually works. 

When you click the link, you are required to put a password and the file in the link cannot be downloaded. This is the one I am looking for. Thank you. 

It means that the setting option of the share icon which is a box with an upward arrow is not the one for people who want disabling downloads.

I am wondering what is the purpose of the function in that area as it makes people very confused and frustrated by taking a long time to test and find out the right thing.

I hope that this would help people who have the same issue. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ozlondon New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?