cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox OSX app says "Admin disabled online-only files", but not according to settings

Dropbox OSX app says "Admin disabled online-only files", but not according to settings

jvdmeij
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

My team is on the Dropbox Business Standard account, and I am one of the admins. The dropbox app (v157.4.4801) on osx (Monterey 12.2.1 (21D62)) just gave the following notice:

CleanShot 2022-09-16 at 21.10.24.png

Neither me or another admin changed anything in our account.

I went into the 'activity log' and didn't see the notice there.

When looking at the Settings > Sync I don't see anything that indicated that the settings has been disabled:

CleanShot 2022-09-16 at 21.14.59.png

I indeed notice that new files are not 'online only'.

Am I missing a setting here? I want (and need) new files to be online-only.

Update after ~12 hours: The notice is gone, and files are syncing online-only as they are supposed to. Was it a temporary bug?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all, thanks for the reports!

I just wanted to mention that this should be resolved now, but please let us know if you're still having issues with this after rebooting your computer and/or restarting the desktop app.

Cheers!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

ZGM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Appears I was just updated to this on a test system and am now getting a notification that "Your admin has disabled Smart Sync" and "Smart Sync not enabled" in the Dropbox menubar item, which is most certainly not the case. I am the admin of our Business Advanced team and all the Settings for the team indicate that Smart Sync is on as expected.

This one seems half-baked folks… (plus: what ever happened to Read Only Friday??)

Edit: The "Smart Sync disabled" issue may be broader than just this release, looking into it with support……

jparet
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

All of a sudden i'm prompted that the admin has not enabled smart sync.

Had to go into the admin portal and manually enable this for some reason (in the admin portal i had to "install" the extension).. Confusing.

But after enabling only "dumb sync" functionality is working (manual make files available offline).

I'm starting to have serious doubts about the future of Dropbox.

cbesett
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sorry to add on but I just started having the same issue.  Dropbox must have updated itself as suddenly i got a message that the admin (me) didn't set things to allow online only.  So i went into the console and turned that on and it said to install something.

I still dont see the option to put a file to Online Only -- not sure what to do?

dietcoke
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had this issue on Windows 10 and it affected at least two other users that I know of so far (both Windows 11). 

I went into the admin console.  On the sync settings, I saw a note saying smart sync extension was not installed for our team.  I clicked on the install extension button and it took a few times of clicking and reloading (or maybe it just took a while to reflect the change), but it did finally show smart sync options.

Don't have a clue why it randomly went away.  But I had my teammates restart their computers and then go to Dropbox settings and turn on "Save hard drive space automatically" and then had them online-only their whole Dropbox folder to reset what was actually on their local system.  That seemed to fix it all. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all, thanks for the reports!

I just wanted to mention that this should be resolved now, but please let us know if you're still having issues with this after rebooting your computer and/or restarting the desktop app.

Cheers!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

cbesett
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, mine did start working.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cbesett New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    dietcoke New member | Level 2
    jparet Helpful | Level 6