cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Transfer "Couldn't add some files"

Dropbox Transfer "Couldn't add some files"

organizedimages
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

I am trying to create a Dropbox Transfer of the entire contents of a folder. The folder contains 76.8 GB in total and over 16K of files. I am doing this from my Windows desktop. The folder is already within Dropbox but it appears that Dropbox wants to upload a new copy. I have the Professional plan specifically in order to be able to create large transfers.

When I attempt this, adding the 1 folder (and many sub-folders, etc), it successfully seems to prepare the transfer but after I click on Create Transfer, I eventually get the error message "Couldn't add some files. Try adding those files again or removing them." The single folder I added has "Failed to upload" in red text next to it.

I attempted again, this time adding by subfolder. It successfully prepared the transfer, with all folder being listed. After clicking on Create Transfer, like the prior attempt, it never left 0% and only showed 0 bytes out of 76.8 GB before failing. Every subfolder had "Failed to upload" next to it in red.

I am running Dropbox version 152.4.4880. 

Kathy

22 Replies 22

organizedimages
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter, thanks for the follow-up. Yes, that would be fine because I would like to know if I'm going to be able to use this method in the future to Transfer up to 100 Gb or not, because I will alter my plan if not. I resolved my current dilemma by purchasing an external drive and mailing it across the country.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sure thing, Kathy - I've just followed up via email, so please have a look at your email's inbox and we'll take it from there.

Happy Monday by the way!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

organizedimages
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

For anyone else with a similar issue:

After my issue was brought to the attention of the Transfer team, it seems that there is both a total size and number of files limit. The transfer that I was attempting failed (nearly immediately) because the limit was 10,000 files. I was attempting a Transfer that was over 16,000 files.

Dropbox team - thanks for the quick response once my issue got sent to the Transfer team. You would have saved me a LOT of time and headache if you would include the file count limit somewhere, such as in the error message or in your Transfer documentation. I initially raised this issue weeks ago and it should have been an easy clarification.

Need more support?