cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not updating files

Dropbox not updating files

yiorgoscy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Can dropbox get live updates of files added, directly from my hard drive? No matter what I have done, checked or unchecked, files do not update in dropbox

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @yiorgoscy  - how are you today?

Could you check 2 things for me? 

1. Are those files located inside your Dropbox folder? &

2. Is your desktop app running? If so, could you tell me its exact status at the moment

Spoiler

You can always look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the message being displayed reads?

Moreover, to see if there are files in your Dropbox that may have problematic file names, try our lookup tool:  https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check

Finally, you can view a full list of the characters (letters, symbols, or numbers) that may be incompatible with the operating system on your computer in this Help Center article:

https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/files-not-syncing

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your findings.  

PS: If you're not seeing the Dropbox icon next to your clock in your system tray/menu bar, you might need to relaunch or re-install the app. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @yiorgoscy  - how are you today?

Could you check 2 things for me? 

1. Are those files located inside your Dropbox folder? &

2. Is your desktop app running? If so, could you tell me its exact status at the moment

Spoiler

You can always look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the message being displayed reads?

Moreover, to see if there are files in your Dropbox that may have problematic file names, try our lookup tool:  https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check

Finally, you can view a full list of the characters (letters, symbols, or numbers) that may be incompatible with the operating system on your computer in this Help Center article:

https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/files-not-syncing

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your findings.  

PS: If you're not seeing the Dropbox icon next to your clock in your system tray/menu bar, you might need to relaunch or re-install the app. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

yiorgoscy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for your immediate reply

Yes, the file is included in my dropbox folder and the desktop app says that it is up to date

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have you restarted your computer since you first noticed that happening @yiorgoscy?

Can you see any syncing icons on the said file? Can you see it online on our website? 

Could you maybe rename the file and try to upload it again? 

Let me know what you find!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

pbishop05
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

as of today I am having the same problem.  I have been working on the same files on two computers and copied the files to the drop box  on my desktop.  It shows they are updated there.  on my surface pro it shows updatd but the files have yesterdays date.  I restarted the surface pro and it still did not updated the files. I have been copying the same files to my desktop, modifyinig them and copying them back and doing the same on the surface pro for the last couple of weeks. Just last night it stopped updating.  FYI, the other day, it did not update immediatly but later updated. Now it is doing nothing.

pbishop05
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

FYI, I had to reboot the desktop where the files were sent from and then reboot the Surface pro again.  That finally made it update on the surface pro.  That should not be.  Both computers are windows 10.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

At a guess if the reboot fixed it then Dropbox either wasnt running or had crashed for whatever reason.

Try a reinstall to see if that helps and just keep an eye on it: www.dropbox.com/downloading

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

fmenchelli
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have tried everything. Even the reinstall. 

My dropbox has been trying to sync files for 3 days and no progress. 

The Internet is working fine. I have dropbox space. The icons on some of the files are blue. I can see the folder online on the website. I rename the files...

It just does not work...

Help.

F

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear about your syncing issue @fmenchelli.

At first, can you change your bandwidth settings via the desktop app's preferences and see if there's any changce?

Moreover, could you see if there are any files with incompatible characters within their names that could be causing this? 

If those didn't help, could you forward me a screenshot of the app's exact status as shown within your computer's system tray/menu bar so I can have a look too?

Thanks in advance and welcome to our Community!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

btlgrl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have just tried every possible suggestions but dropbox does not update any file contents at all. I guess the only thing is that windows 10 prevents it, somehow. This needs to be checked by pros. It used to be Ok and good. As a matter of fact, I’ve fed with Onedrive automatic pictures updating and switched back to dropbox. Dropbox has problems too. I think these companies, perhaps, collaborating each other and forcing people to upgrade the free versions to payable onces.
-btlgrl

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

btlgrl New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    fmenchelli New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    pbishop05 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?