cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox re-syncs 10,000+ files after every reboot

Dropbox re-syncs 10,000+ files after every reboot

andyyy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox re-syncs 10,000+ files after every reboot - files that I haven't touched, and it always looks to be the same directories affected, not the whole Dropbox.

This also seems to happen after I pause Dropbox for even 10 minutes, work on a handful of files (like literally 5 files), then un-pause - it needs to re-sync thousands of files.

Any suggestiongs as to how to fix/troubleshoot?

14 Replies 14

Jeff G.14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having this problem but I can't figure out why.  Can you help me debug?

1-how do I figure out where the 18,000 files are that Dropbox is trying to sync?

2-is there a way to search for simlinks in my dropbox folder?

We use git but I didn't think I had any git work in my Dropbox folder...maybe it was shared with me...I need help to find it.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Jeff (@Jeff G.14), let me follow-up in a bit more depth on this issue; thanks for the nudge!

For starters, can you confirm whether you’re facing this issue upon startup? Does the issue you’re experiencing match andyyy’s (meaning the OP's) description by any chance or is it different?

If you’re seeing that the application on your system tray is syncing a large number of files without your input Jeff, then your best course of action would be cross-checking your syncing icons :arrows_counterclockwise::white_check_mark: (i.e. the files/ folders with the blue arrow should be the ones syncing to your account online), as maybe an accidental drag & drop is the culprit. 

From there, if you suspect that the app has been stuck on one filename or it’s not syncing as it should, I’d suggest unlinking & relinking your account on your desktop & rebooting once, as it recreates the local database

Following, please have a look at this resource to generate a list of any existing Symlinks in your Dropbox folder Jeff. Kindly bear in mind we’d recommend avoiding their usage, as we’ve noticed performance discrepancies. 

Once you find the time to check back on how these pointers work for you, please let me know of the outcome on this discussion here & I’ll make sure to check back with you asap. Thanks & happy Friday!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Martha R.9
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

20200415. Macmini

I'm having this issue in 2020, I don't have other processes using the files, they are all OFFICE documents and JPGs, nothing else. 

160,000 files and it says it will tke 27 hours. I have not been able to work all day (I'm on a laptop). 

I can't figure out why it's happening.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Martha R.9, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

It might be worth checking this article out which suggests a few reasons and ways to tackle what you describe. 

Let me know how it goes or if this helps, and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mandy Xie
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Macmini,

Did you fix the issue? I have the same issue as you described. I have tried all kinds of different things, however, nothing worked. 

Need more support?