cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox seems to be corrupting files…..

Dropbox seems to be corrupting files…..

Brooknei
Helpful | Level 6

I’m afraid we’re are migrating away from Dropbox, however whilst doing so we have noticed the following issue…. (Windows 11 – Latest Dropbox Version). Hence we though this may be useful.

• Most of our 2TB files are stored as “Online” only using Selective Sync.
  • We then change the file status to “Available offline” so Dropbox copies(sync’s) the files back to the local disk from Dropbox.com.
  • After some time (several hours) the Dropbox app confirms that all files are sync’d and the Dropbox task bar icon also indicates a complete/no activity status.
  • The PC is rebooted and Dropbox is then uninstalled
  • When trying to view via the PC the now sync’d  Zip, Jpeg, Docx some of the files are corrupted/won’t open.
  • As a test using Dropbox.com we manually download a problem file using MS Edge and the files will open correctly.
  • It would seem that the Windows Dropbox client indicates it has finished its jobs even through it hasn’t fully completed syncing … We've also noticed that the corrupted file vs good file byte size are the same. We could duplicate this fault.

Any thoughts ?

15 Replies 15

koizpad
Explorer | Level 4

And when I download the file directly from the browser, the encoding issue is gone.

This happens with other file formats as well, but I have already deleted those files. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @koizpad, in order to look into this further, I believe that contacting the support team directly would help.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bsimms
Explorer | Level 3

Also experiencing what might be widespread corruption of files. Mostly .psd and .zip files that I have been testing. From a range of folders that are also only stored online (not locally). Syncing them via the desktop app or downloading from the web directly made no difference. The files seem to have been corrupted while stored in DB.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Brooknei, could you clarify exactly how they are corrupted? Are the files not loading, or not showing any information?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

koizpad
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Jay , I contacted the Japanese DB support desk twice, and they told me that they would ask an investigation team to take care of it. But I haven't heard from them almost 3 weeks since then. Should I contact the U.S. DB support desk directly to deal with this issue? Ticket # are #23323872 and #23318123.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @koizpad, I can see that you've opened another ticket and that you're currently in contact with a support agent regarding this matter. They'll be able to assist you from there on.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?