cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ending support of public folder

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

659 Replies 659

PiperFlyer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Dropbox, I honestly hope that his decision negatively effects your business. I'm sincerely disappointed in the refusal to listen to your customer base.

cdgoin
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@ColinC wrote:
It's a lot better than delivering the news at the same time as they remove it.

Here is the big issues.. They are warning some BUT they still have the Public folder and how that folder creates ( Soon to be dead links ) as past of their app.. !! Which means many will still right click and get the link and use it up until the day the links no longer work. Its like one part of Dropbox isnt talking to the other and we as the end users are screwed. 

JetWave
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
They are not warning "some", they are warning everyone who uses Dropbox. If they choose to not read their emails then that's their own fault. I still use this feature and gain from it, even if it'll be dead in a select amount of months. You're getting distracted from the real issue at hand.

cdgoin
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@JetWave wrote:
They are not warning "some", they are warning everyone who uses Dropbox. If they choose to not read their emails then that's their own fault. I still use this feature and gain from it, even if it'll be dead in a select amount of months. You're getting distracted from the real issue at hand.

Actually if you are a new user to dropbox you wont be notified, and the "unsupported" public folder will show up under your dropbox folder in the file explorer.. The point I am making is not only are the screwing with millions of websites and millions of hosted images. The key function they are killing is still a functioning part of their **bleep** program. 

Matthew T.27
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Dropbox won't back down; they never do. The best thing to do is simply cancel your subscription.

sevignymarca
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same thing for me! And worst! The new URL created the new way don't even work with my signage display! So I cannot use Dropbox anymore! :-(((

edm81363
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Has anyone settled on an alternative service provider? If I have to go back and change ALL of those links, I want to do it only once, and to a provider I can depend on...

JetWave
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
"Actually if you are a new user to dropbox you wont be notified, and the "unsupported" public folder will show up under your dropbox folder in the file explorer.."

False. New users do not get a public folder. Why in the world would letting us use this feature a while longer be a bad thing?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@cdgoin wrote:

@JetWave wrote:

Actually if you are a new user to dropbox you wont be notified, and the "unsupported" public folder will show up under your dropbox folder in the file explorer.. The point I am making is not only are the screwing with millions of websites and millions of hosted images. The key function they are killing is still a functioning part of their **bleep** program. 

Actually new users do not, nor have they got, a Public folder now for many many years. You could request one was added if you were a paying user, but, I'm not sure if that still works. Therefore new users wont even know what this folder is nor will they therefore miss it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

cdgoin
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@edm81363 wrote:
Has anyone settled on an alternative service provider? If I have to go back and change ALL of those links, I want to do it only once, and to a provider I can depend on...

Microsoft isnt going anywhere anytime soon, Neither is Google so depending on if you use MS Office, or like Google I would pick between those two. I am a MS user ( I am even one of the 1%, the 1% with Windows Phone ) so I am going to move to OneDrive. 

Also I am pretty sure new members see the public folder in Win10. I could be wrong.. but a friend got a new laptop and setup an account and asked me what it was for. At least I thought it was a new account. 

Need more support?