cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending support of public folder

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

659 Replies 659

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Dropbox are about to kill off part of the internet.

Explanation:

Newer users may not realise that Dropbox once included a “Public” folder for shared links. Everything in that folder got a unique url which could be copied and given to any other individual(s) as a direct link to that content, or which could be embedded into another forum post so that - for example - an image would appear.

Dropbox ended support for a Public folder for new users some years ago, but existing users were assured they could continue to use theirs. There are now millions of links on the internet which are from Dropbox users’ Public folders.

Now Dropbox are discontinuing the Public folder for ALL users. If this wasn't bad enough (after the promises which were made), Dropbox are refusing to ‘grandfather’ (i.e. preserve) the links that are already out there, even after they end support for all Public folders. All such links will, overnight, become ‘dead’, wherever they are on the internet.

Dropbox refuse to explain WHY they will not preserve existing links, refuse to enter into discussion about this, and refuse even to explain WHY they won't discuss it.

(If you share unease or even outrage about this, copy and paste this message all over these forums and wherever else you go; Share on Facebook, LinkedIn; post a link on Twitter.)

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Dropbox are about to kill off part of the internet.

Explanation:

Newer users may not realise that Dropbox once included a “Public” folder for shared links. Everything in that folder got a unique url which could be copied and given to any other individual(s) as a direct link to that content, or which could be embedded into another forum post so that - for example - an image would appear.

Dropbox ended support for a Public folder for new users some years ago, but existing users were assured they could continue to use theirs. There are now millions of links on the internet which are from Dropbox users’ Public folders.

Now Dropbox are discontinuing the Public folder for ALL users. If this wasn't bad enough (after the promises which were made), Dropbox are refusing to ‘grandfather’ (i.e. preserve) the links that are already out there, even after they end support for all Public folders. All such links will, overnight, become ‘dead’, wherever they are on the internet.

Dropbox refuse to explain WHY they will not preserve existing links, refuse to enter into discussion about this, and refuse even to explain WHY they won't discuss it.

(If you share unease or even outrage about this, copy and paste this message all over these forums and wherever else you go; Share on Facebook, LinkedIn; post a link on Twitter.)

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

The best? Read this..:

• Dropbox are about to kill off part of the internet.
  • Explanation:
  • Newer users may not realise that Dropbox once included a “Public” folder for shared links. Everything in that folder got a unique url which could be copied and given to any other individual(s) as a direct link to that content, or which could be embedded into another forum post so that - for example - an image would appear.
  • Dropbox ended support for a Public folder for new users some years ago, but existing users were assured they could continue to use theirs. There are now millions of links on the internet which are from Dropbox users’ Public folders.
  • Now Dropbox are discontinuing the Public folder for ALL users. If this wasn't bad enough (after the promises which were made), Dropbox are refusing to ‘grandfather’ (i.e. preserve) the links that are already out there, even after they end support for all Public folders. All such links will, overnight, become ‘dead’, wherever they are on the internet.
  • Dropbox refuse to explain WHY they will not preserve existing links, refuse to enter into discussion about this, and refuse even to explain WHY they won't discuss it.
  • (If you share unease or even outrage about this, copy and paste this message all over these forums and wherever else you go; Share on Facebook, LinkedIn; post a link on Twitter.)

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
As fast as I post this in these forums, it's being removed. I need you all to join in. Let's give them such a headache that they will have to act on this issue.

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Dropbox are about to kill part of the internet.

How?

Newer users may not realise that Dropbox once included a Public folder for shared links. Everything in that folder got a unique URL which could be copied and given to any other individual(s) as a direct link to that content, or which could be embedded into another forum post so that - e.g. - an image would appear.

Dropbox stopped giving a Public folder to new users a few years ago, but existing users were told they could continue to use theirs. There are now millions of links on the internet which are from Dropbox users’ Public folders.

Dropbox refuse to explain WHY they will not preserve existing links, refuse to enter into discussion about this, refuse even to explain WHY they won't discuss it.

(If you share unease / outrage about this, copy & paste this message all over these forums & wherever else you go; Share on Facebook, LinkedIn; post a link on Twitter.)

Mike C.63
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The Public Folder was Dropbox's one huge USP over its competitors. I paid for Dropbox's premium service, even though it was a lot more expensive than many of the other options. But I did so willingly, because that one little folder made my life so much easier.

Now? There is literally no need to stay with Dropbox. They offer nothing over and above what I can get for less than half the price elsewhere. So when they announced the end of Public Folders, I stopped paying. Since then I've been migrating all my data out, and am now at a point I can happily close my account down.

I don't know what made Dropbox make this decision, but it made a decision I'd been pondering for a while a no brainer.

Thanks for the good times while they lasted.

twirth5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hear hear!

If I am forced to hunt down and modify each and every link to the Public Folder on my ~5,000-page Web site with I might as well bite the bullet and migrate elsewhere. I cannot even imagine what a monumental task this will be either way. Sad because I would pay DB in order to preserve my public links. If you insist on screwing me like this, CYA DropBox.

Wiep
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

95% of my website will die because of this, thank you dropbox.

Wiep
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
What new methods worked for you?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
For issues relating to the Public links please see https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Sharing-and-collaboration/Ending-support-of-public-folder/m-p/197906...

Please do NOT post it across these forums (they will be removed as they are unnecessary) - there is already a thread about this out there.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LGM Helpful | Level 5
    ym58 Helpful | Level 7
    awolff Helpful | Level 6
    ThomasPaul Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?