cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending support of public folder

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

659 Replies 659

fbmore
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I noticed that too and it has been annoying. The only way seems to be to overwrite the file so Dropbox things it's just been update but doesn't change the id in the link.

iollivier
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
With so much love we sharing here to dropbox just spread the love .. and then go to Media Fire site $45/annually (50% discount) with public direct links .. you are welcome

gbm
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
Dropbox IS getting a lot of BAD publicity. For Example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85a5u5pnlkwc8cg/DropboxNotice.JPG?dl=1

ROMAD
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

SPAM post by iollivier2?

iollivier
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

not really a spam .. but a valid and cheap solution to all of us .. I spent hours researching and testing services, as direct links feature works different on each service.

ROMAD
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

OK. The reason I asked is because I'm a SPAM Moderator on a forum and the syntax of your post is what I see frequently: First an innocuous phrase used to get by filters followed by the text of the advertisement.

I would have probably posted something like: "We've all been impacted by the closure of Public Folders by Dropbox. Due the the impact on my usage I went and researched possible viable alternatives, and concluded that this is best for me: ..."

iollivier
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I see. Thanks for your explonation. Will try next time to be more descriptive 🙂

kenyadoc
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi- I am a Pro user and currently use the DropBox Public Folder as a home for about 20 pictures which rotate in the header of my blog.  The Blogger widget has code that randomly chooses a header picture to display from my Public Folder.

Currently the links look like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/xxxxxxxx/blah%20blah%20blah%20900

It's not clear to me what happens on Sept 1 2017.  Do the links change?

I copied the pix to a new folder in my DropBox root directory and called it "BlogHeaders".

The links now look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxxxxxxxxxxx/blah%20blah%20blah%20900.jpg?dl=0

I was going to change the links in the widget code, but I saw a comment somewhere that suggested that Blogger will not be able to access these pix because of the "www.dropbox.com" format (instead of the "dl.dropboxusercontent.com" format)

Can I just switch the reference link in the blogger widget and substitute the dl.dropboxusercontent prefix for the www.dropbox.com (even though the I cannot change the link info itself)?

Not sure what to do?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

kenyadoc wrote:

It's not clear to me what happens on Sept 1 2017.  Do the links change?

No, they will stop working completely.

I copied the pix to a new folder in my DropBox root directory and called it "BlogHeaders".

The links now look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxxxxxxxxxxx/blah%20blah%20blah%20900.jpg?dl=0

Change the ?dl=1 at the end of the link to ?raw=1.

Can I just switch the reference link in the blogger widget and substitute the dl.dropboxusercontent prefix for the www.dropbox.com (even though the I cannot change the link info itself)?

You need to create new share links to each image and change the end of the link as described above, then use those new links in the widget.

kenyadoc
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

In the link I shared it says "?dl=0" at the end

But you say change from "?dl=1" to "?raw=1"

Should it be "?raw=0"

Sorry to be dense.  I'm not a coder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LGM Helpful | Level 5
    ym58 Helpful | Level 7