cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Finalizing taking forever

Finalizing taking forever

BobF1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Trying to upload a dng file that is about 90MB in size to my gallery - fter taking the 3 minutes indicated it has been 15 minutes with the screen saying 1 second left and "finalizing"...what is going on?Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 1.20.54 PM.jpg

32 Replies 32

mrwitte
New member | Level 2

I very much appreciate BobF1 doing good humanitarian work and posting a usable workaround.

But DropBox: this is not "solved". You're a cross-platform developer, and it's been a year. Hup hup.

TTMarketing
New member | Level 2

Still having this problem a year later in Dec 2023. I'm using Firefox. It's not browser dependent, as users in this thread are experiencing the issue with a lot of different browsers. Besides, I'm not going to the hassle of installing a browser I never use just for the sole purpose of getting Dropbox to work. I'm also not going to clear my cache or reinstall my browser, losing all my saved passwords and autocompletes.

It's not dependent on file size or format or volume of files in a folder, as the problem is happening to me with a plain old jpg less than 2mb, included in a folder of three other jpgs. The only common factor with this error is Dropbox.

It's also very frustrating that the refresh button and the cancel button are both greyed out on the stuck files. So there appears no way to stop the operation except by nuking the whole upload and then trying to figure out which file did not get completed. Why don't the developers include a feature that detects long timeouts and allows the user to cancel or restart that upload?

Edit: the two stuck jpegs finally completed their "finalizing" stage, about 20 minutes after the upload was initiated.

BobF1
Helpful | Level 6

Yep - this thing just sucks. And I too hav no desire to get another browser for the convenience of the incompetants at Dropbox - I shall just never try it again (and tell my friends the same thing). I have been watching "19 seconds left" for tha past 5+ minutes in my attempt to upload 49 jpg images - enough already.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @BobF1, I hope you're doing well!

Let me clarify and add, that when we ask user after user to try a different browser, that's purely for troubleshooting purposes, not as a solution. 

If this is a behavior that you notice on Chrome, but not when you go to Safari that means there's a specific setting/plug-in/cache that might be preventing this specific browser from working as it should, and we need to narrow down the root cause. 

On our end, we need to identify that and see how we're going to proceed. 

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

adubble
New member | Level 2

yes, this is ridiculous. it's not even "large" files. I'm doing it with normal .CR2 files and it just spins forever. I will be leaving Dropbox as soon as my term is up. Unreal how incompetent the response has been to this. It's literally the reason we use the cloud, to share files, and it can't do the job. Absolutely unreal. This needs to be SOLVED immediately.

chocolatechip
New member | Level 2

Ugh, seriously? I'm on my third attempt to upload this ginormous file, and the upload itself is a torturous five-hour ordeal. I get it, it's a massive file, but when it comes to finalizing, it's been a mind-numbing 24 hours since my third attempt, and as I write this review, it's still stuck in the abyss of finalization.

I've combed through the entire "solution" spiel, and yeah, I've tried every single darn suggestion. This isn't a browser glitch; it's a program malfunction. If every Tom, **bleep**, and Harry is grappling with this nonsense on all platforms, then the culprit is the program, not our browsers. We're forking over our hard-earned cash for monthly subscriptions, and what do we get? Daily doses of frustration and infuriation.

Why am I paying for a service that does nothing but spike my stress levels? Dropbox, you're officially on my chopping block. This nonsense has become a regular occurrence, and I'm definitely airing my grievances on other platforms. Nobody should have to endure this kind of so-called "service." Thanks!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @chocolatechip, sorry to see that you're having this issue.

If you're handling very large files, I would suggest using the Dropbox desktop app instead, as it's our preferred method of uploading files, however, we appreciate your feedback here.

Having said that, can you let us know how large the file you're trying to upload is?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

huyness
Collaborator | Level 9

this problem is NOT SOLVED and never will be. there was a 25 page thread about this earlier but its been archived for some reason.  this problem with firefox has occured for over 5 years with no solution and is occuring to me right now.  the only solution is to upload a handful of files at a time. if you try to do like a 100, it will just stop and say finalized FOREVER.

toosphexy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Same problem. I pay for this service. Can you fix it please?

huyness
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

they're never going to fix this. this problem is over 5 years old on all platforms and browsers.  Dropbox has one job and they do it poorly.  the problem is that it only affects a few peopel so they do not care.

Need more support?