cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey X on files I download via selective sync and can't open them

Grey X on files I download via selective sync and can't open them

Frank99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm not able to solve the following problem: when I download files from Dropbox using the Selective Sync all the downloaded files show a grey X and they are not openable.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Frank99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hannah

yes, the 'make available offline' option is available and by clicking on it the file(s) become available.

Problem solved. Thank you for your effective suggestion.

The solution to this big problem was actually simple... but I recommend Dropbox to correct it or to give clear indications on how to solve it, in order to avoid that the users have to scratch their heads for days...

Regards

Francesco  

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Frank99, and welcome back to our forum. 

From what I understand, you had previously unsynced some files/folders from your Dropbox app, and after re-syncing them, they can no longer be accessed, correct?

Do you mind sharing with me the app version and syncing status of your Dropbox app? Also, if you can provide a screenshot of what you see when trying to open the files, that’d be great. 

Keep me posted for more updates!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Frank99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dear Nancy

exactly, I had previously unsynced these files and after re-syncing them, I could no longer access them.

In my mobile the App version appears to be 310.3.2 and in my laptop 163.4.5456. I manage my files only from my laptop. I use the mobile only for reading purposes

Apparently, sync is updated, and I don't have sync issues, as you can see below:

Frank99_0-1672195915458.png

Frank99_1-1672196354854.png

You can see here below the error message that I get when I try to open these fils;

Frank99_3-1672196566253.png

Finally, this a picture of one of my re-synced folders with all its files having these unhappy grey X:

Frank99_4-1672196830110.png

Thank you

Francesco

Frank99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Nancy

I forgot to mention that I have no problem in accessing these files from my Dropbox website. The problem is relevant only to those that have been re-cynced to my laptop.

Ciao

Francesco

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Frank99, sorry for jumping in here, but I just wanted to mention that in File Explorer, a gray “X” icon can appear on a file or folder in your Dropbox folder sometimes. 

This is a Windows icon and not a Dropbox icon. It indicates that your file or folder may not be syncing with Dropbox. 

To fix this, please try the steps in this article about fixing syncing issues in Dropbox. If that doesn’t fix it, you can also contact Microsoft support.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Frank99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Walter

I did not like at all the way you jumped in, interrupting my dialogue with your colleague Nancy and providing very general suggestions including that of checking the internet connection (come on !!!).

This made me immediately suspicious that you were covering a problem of Dropbox.

As a matter of fact, Nancy gave me a useful hint, i.e. that the problem of the files with gray X (therefore not openable) could be due to the fact that I unsynced and then re-synced these files. So, what I did I uploaded a file in Dropbox through my mobile then I synced in my laptop; it worked perfectly, and that file is openable. So, the problem is not in my laptop, in Microsoft or in other unreachable systems. The problem is in Dropbox and has to do with the unsyncing and re-cyncing process and, of course, I'm not able to solve it by myself, as I am a simple user. 

Now, let's go back to a peaceful dialogue. Can Dropbox solve this problem?

The selective sync is for me the major strength of Dropbox, but if it doesn't work, ciao (i.e. bye bye) 

Francesco 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Frank99, what Walter suggested is actually legitimate, but I'm assuming the info and troubleshooting steps in the article didn't help resolve your issue.

Can you check one more thing? Do you see a 'make available offline' option, when you right click on these files?

If so, can you click it, to see if that helps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Frank99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hannah

yes, the 'make available offline' option is available and by clicking on it the file(s) become available.

Problem solved. Thank you for your effective suggestion.

The solution to this big problem was actually simple... but I recommend Dropbox to correct it or to give clear indications on how to solve it, in order to avoid that the users have to scratch their heads for days...

Regards

Francesco  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Frank99 Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?