cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to stop syncing an individual file

How to stop syncing an individual file

pslack
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My dropbox was (unbeknownst to me) not syncing for the past week. So work I was doing on some files was not being saved to the team folder. I just got my syncing working again, but meanwhile the team has moved on without me and for my files to save, it will actually set them back a week's worth of work.

I've paused the sync, but is there a way I can stop it entirely for 2 specific files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jahmk wrote:

I really need to skip some large files to upload, they only need for offline works, but I need to keep them together. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, if you simply want to stop two files from syncing, then I’d recommend moving them out of the Dropbox folder entirely.

However, I just want to check, the Dropbox desktop application will always check for the latest version, so it should download the newer versions from the site, instead of uploading your older versions.

In any case, try moving the old files out of the folder, and let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dermotmoconnor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Crude workaround, and not really helpful.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dermotmoconnor, thanks for reaching out to us!

We're working on a feature that allows Dropbox files to be "ignored". You can find more info about this here

Currently, it's in beta, so while it's not available to all users at the moment, we're working hard to roll this out to more in the future.

I hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jahmk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is this still only on the beta version? I really need to skip some large files to upload, they only need for offline works, but I need to keep them together. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jahmk wrote:

I really need to skip some large files to upload, they only need for offline works, but I need to keep them together. 

jahmk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, I've managed to do it, but looking for an option on dropbox could be easier. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jahmk wrote:

Thanks, I've managed to do it, but looking for an option on dropbox could be easier. 

The method in the help article is the only way to manage this feature.

Need more support?