cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to stop syncing music files to my Dropbox?

How to stop syncing music files to my Dropbox?

sloohand
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm trying to stop Dropbox from syncing a ton of music. I've paused it indefinitely but I don't want all that music to be backed up on Dropbox. There doesn't seem to be a 'stop sync' option, unless I'm missing something? Help!

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sloohand
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the suggestions. It appears the issue magically resolved itself! The syncing finally stopped. I checked and the music folder was still in backup. I deleted it, then Dropbox deleted all the music files and everything is back to normal. So yay!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You need to move the files/folders out of the Dropbox directory if you do not want them to sync 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @sloohand, thanks for posting your question here!

Can you just clarify one thing for me? Did you manually add these files to your Dropbox folder?

How did they end up trying to sync in the first place? 

Is it possible that they were saved to your Desktop/Documents/Downloads folders and you enabled our backup feature?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sloohand
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

I normally don't have music enabled, but I was trying to add one song to dropbox. I checked the music option for backup, thinking I could then add the one song, then realized all my music was snycing. I paused it, then tried to remedy the situation by rewinding back to an earlier time, which worked as far as losing the music files that had already synced, but the ones I paused are still there waiting to resume syncing. Hope that makes sense. Obviously, I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@sloohand wrote:

I checked the music option for backup, thinking I could then add the one song, then realized all my music was snycing.

You need to disable the computer backup feature that you enabled.

sloohand
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Rich,

So I disabled the backup for my PC and it's still syncing. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @sloohand, you'd ideally need to give it time to sync all the changes. 

Once it's up to date, your Music shouldn't be backed up to Dropbox anymore, since you've disabled the feature. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

sloohand
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

Just to make sure I understand - go ahead and let it keep syncing even if it takes days (I have a lot of music) and at the end of that process, the music won't be there?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I think what Megan actually means, is that it would have been best if you allowed everything to sync first before disabling backup, which is true.

If you've already disabled it, can you check if the app is still trying to sync the files even now?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

sloohand
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

It says it's syncing 1200 files but it's been at that figure since I checked this morning and the progress bar isn't moving.

Need more support?