cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 new computer - how can I sync my Desktop and other folders?

Windows 11 new computer - how can I sync my Desktop and other folders?

mebrooks
Explorer | Level 4

New computer with WIN 11, one thing right away is that WIN 11 does not allow you to look at files evidently unless you are in the User directory. My question is - when I open desktop app preferences, and select 'Selective Sync, it only shows the older files already in the account from my last computer. How do I selectively sync so I am able to sync my Desktop and other folders?

15 Replies 15

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mebrooks, thanks for taking the time to post to our Community.

Can you please clarify with me exactly what you'd like to do?

Are you trying to back up the Desktop folders of this new computer to your Dropbox account? If so, you'll need to turn on the backup feature on this computer.

Are you missing other Dropbox folders that are saved to your account, but do not appear in your selective sync settings?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mebrooks
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you.

On my old computer I was able to selectively sync certain folders and not others. When I open preferences in the desktop app, and choose sync - then 'selective sync' (as I have done in the past) the only folders that appear are the ones previously uploaded. None of my current files are being uploaded except for ones I put in a folder called 'Ryzen 5 files'. 

I previously was able to point Dropbox towards which folders (not the entire drive) that I wanted to sync and be able to make use of the local/online only functionality as an extension of my computer. I use file explorer, and all my previous files are located just where I put them. I want only the files I choose to be uploaded automatically as they were previously on a WIN 10 machine.

Thanks again for your response.

Version: 152.4.4880

HP Ryzen 5 with Windows 11 - 16gb RAM etc

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mebrooks, sorry to jump in here! 

Can you send me a screenshot of what you see on your end, please? 

Also, what is the app's syncing status currently? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

mebrooks
Explorer | Level 4

screen dropbox.jpg

mebrooks
Explorer | Level 4

Files are up to date in both sync/drobox desktop app and file explorer. (No sync activity except manually  or for folder edits)

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update here!

Just to make sure I got this right, you're opening the sync preferences on your new computer, but you're not seeing your newest folders in the selective sync settings, only older ones?

Are these new folders synced to your account and are you able to access them from your account online?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

mebrooks
Explorer | Level 4

Correct on both counts, thanks.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I see, thanks for the clarification!

Are they available in the Dropbox folder of the new computer, though, or are they missing from there as well?

If they are missing, do the names of these folders, contain any of the incompatible characters here?

If so, try to remove those characters, using the website, to see if the folders will sync, so that you can access them from the selective sync settings.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

mebrooks
Explorer | Level 4

"Are they available in the Dropbox folder of the new computer, though, or are they missing from there as well?"

All previously existing files from the previous computer are all current and visible both online and in file explorer.

I have no idea where windows 11 stores things from the desktop, and I use it as a folder rather than visible on the desktop. Since I am currently unable to sync, I am saving in the previous computer's desktop sync area. I am in the middle of editing a film for a memorial service next month, so I have had to just go on and get my work done.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    mebrooks Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?