cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I installed Dropbox, but my folder is empty.

I installed Dropbox, but my folder is empty.

barbiesa
Explorer | Level 3

I have a new Macintosh computer and I want to sync it with the Dropbox on my old computer. It's not an obvious thing. Help!

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II

Hi @barbiesa 

Simply download Dropbox from www.dropbox.com/downloading and sign in with the same email and password as your other devices and it'll just work 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

barbiesa
Explorer | Level 3

I wish it did, but it doesn't. My Dropbox folder on the new device is empty. I can access the dropbox from the old computer, but I want them to sync. And I don't want another step to get into dropbox.

Mark
Super User II

If its empty you have almost certainly set up a new account OR signed in to the wrong one. 

A dead easy way to check that is on the new device open Dropbox and go to the website - what does www.dropbox.com/events show

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Mark wrote:

... sign in with the same email and password as your other devices ...

Hi @barbiesa,

Are you certain you have used the same credentials? 🧐 If you have used different credentials/accounts on different devices, you cannot rely on the same content of course.

@barbiesa wrote:

... My Dropbox folder on the new device is empty. ...

Seems you are using different accounts. 😕 Check what email is associated to the account on your old computer (Dropbox Preferences -> Account tab -> Account). Make sure (no just supposing) you use the same email (and associated password) on the new computer. If you found that emails are different, unlink (sign out) on your new computer (the same place in preferences - the button next to the email) and sign back using correct credentials (those from your old computer, so the same account to be in use). 😉

Hope this helps.

barbiesa
Explorer | Level 3

I deleted the new unwanted account, and signed in with the current account, but the Dropbox folder in the left column is still blank. How can I get my Dropbox files to appear automatically in that folder?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@barbiesa wrote:

I deleted the new unwanted account, and signed in with the current account, ...

Are you sure you haven't created one more "new unwanted account" by the way? 🤔 Check again the emails/accounts in use as I noted above.

Good luck.

barbiesa
Explorer | Level 3

No, I did not create another account. However, the one I deleted seems to not actually be deleted for a month after creation. Could that be the problem?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @barbiesa, did you actually follow these steps to delete that account entirely?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    barbiesa Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?