cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’ve shared a folder with my daughter but she gets a message her Dropbox is full...help please.

I’ve shared a folder with my daughter but she gets a message her Dropbox is full...help please.

coachzoelewis
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I have a paid for Dropbox account with loads of space (I’m using around 6%). I’ve given my daughter a folder (shared it with her). She’s now created sub folders & uploaded photos & videos, however she gets a message saying Dropbox is full, upgrade. She is too young to have or need her own paid membership. How can I solve this so she can use my Dropbox without me giving her full access to all my documents? Thanks in anticipation
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If I'm honest I'd suggest not giving her the password but setting it up on her device for her..... because if she has the email address and password she is technically an account owner. I'm sure she wouldnt do anything intentionally, but, if she was to say delete the account then it would be gone and you'd have no comeback - by having the password she is able to do that. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@coachzoelewis wrote:
If I upgrade to a business account would that solve the problem?

It would solve the problem because Business accounts share the quota with all members, but it would be unnecessary. A Business account requires a minimum number of users (3) and is more expensive. For what you're doing, it's overkill. The better (and less expensive) option would be to just upgrade your daughter's account as well.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

The only way she will benefit from your space is if she is actually logging in and using your own account Your Pro membership doesnt benefit her at all I'm afraid. 

What are you trying to do? Do you literally just want her to be able to upload stuff to you? 

If so look at Requests: www.dropbox.com/requests

If its to get stuff from you have a look at Shared Links: www.dropbox.com/links

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

coachzoelewis
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks for your prompt reply. I’d like her to be able to use her folder “Name” to add her school documents, photos, videos, etc. Ideally I’d like her to manage this herself rather than me... I could give her my password it wouldn’t be too bad... would that be the easiest option?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If I'm honest I'd suggest not giving her the password but setting it up on her device for her..... because if she has the email address and password she is technically an account owner. I'm sure she wouldnt do anything intentionally, but, if she was to say delete the account then it would be gone and you'd have no comeback - by having the password she is able to do that. 

coachzoelewis
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi, thanks very much for your help. I’m a bit confused as to why she can’t just keep uploading to my account but I guess that’s techy stuff. Looks like I’ll give her access.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @coachzoelewis, I’d just like to add a bit of info, as to why your daughter can’t utilize your space on a different account, as Mark has already advised how she can upload files on your account using a File Request. I hope you’ve had a lovely Monday so far! 

Assuming that both you & your daughter are using a personal Dropbox account (though only yours is an upgraded one), please note that your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the share, it takes up space in each member's account.

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light on your question, though we’re always here if you have more questions, just let us know on this discussion. Wishing you a great week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

coachzoelewis
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks Jane,

Thanks
Zoé

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@coachzoelewis wrote:

It would solve the problem because Business accounts share the quota with all members, but it would be unnecessary. A Business account requires a minimum number of users (3) and is more expensive. For what you're doing, it's overkill. The better (and less expensive) option would be to just upgrade your daughter's account as well.

coachzoelewis
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thank you 😊

zia1love01
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thank you so much
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

zia1love01 New member | Level 2