cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify who has downloaded a Dropbox Transfer.

Identify who has downloaded a Dropbox Transfer.

Stephen d.8
Helpful | Level 5

Not a particularly new idea, but long overdue for re-considering. Competitors have been doing it for a decade, but when sending a Dropbox Transfer link in an email to multiple recipients, it is impossible to tell who has downloaded it, just a number of downloads, which can sometimes even be the same person on multiple devices.

Please can the notifications identify the "downloader", and, ideally, the download page too?

Ironically, and rather uselessly, the only time I have received a Dropbox email notification that says who the person who downloaded it was when I did a test download myself, and it put my name in the text of the email, so it must be possible at some level.

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Stephen d.8, thanks for your feedback here.

At the moment, when you send a transfer through a link and the person downloading the files is not signed in to their Dropbox account, you won't access this info.

However, if you send the transfer via the "send email" option and the recipient is signed in to Dropbox, you'll get an email saying that "Your transfer was just downloaded by X".

In any case though, we thank you for your feedback and I will make sure to pass your comments along to our team.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Stephen d.8
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Hannah,

Unfortunately, neither my brother, the solicitor, nor the estate agents (two of them) have a Dropbox account, so none of them are identified on email notifications.

There is of course, a very clunky workaround of creating separate DB Transfers of identical content and sending each individual a separate email with their own specific link (never just CCing them) .....how very dull, lots of work for something that feels like it should be perfectly possible to implement to be automatic based on an email address.

Ho hum, switch to Citrix I guess where I need to identify the downloader and see if Dropbox make a change in the next decade!

Stephen

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

We appreciate your feedback, Stephen and your comments are passed along to our team.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and if you need anything else, please let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Stephen d.8 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?