cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install .apk from dropbox not possible anymore, "unable to send"

Install .apk from dropbox not possible anymore, "unable to send"

StevenDeB
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

thanks for your great product!

I am developing some apps (well, more 'learning to develop' at the moment 😉 ), and at least a few weeks ago, the following worked for me:

• compile .apk file on my windows laptop
  • copy .apk file to dropbox-folder on laptop
  • open dropbox-folder on my android-10 smartphone
  • click on .apk file on android
  • click yes on permission-questions if needed
  • open my new application on android

I have given Dropbox permission to install unknown apps. Everything worked fine!

However, a few days ago, I had to upgrade Android(security patch level 2020-05-01). Dropbox was upgraded as well (now on 188.2.6). If I now click on .apk file, I get the following error:

Unable to Send
  Your account admin has placed restrictions on sending files of certain types.

See attched image.

dropbox_error_unable_to_send.jpg

Please advice!

Thanks, Steven de Brouwer

6 Replies 6

StevenDeB
Explorer | Level 4

PS Exporting the .apk file to local storage, and opening the file from there works fine. So the .apk file itself is oke.

StevenDeB
Explorer | Level 4

Anybody? 

@TRB Support ?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @StevenDeB, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry for the late reply. 

I just wanted to check with you first if the Dropbox mobile app still has all the relevant permissions given on your Android? Also, do you have any other pending OS updates?

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

StevenDeB
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, @Lusil ,

thanks for replying!

Yes, I think the Dropbox app still has all the permissions. Specifically, it has the permission 'install unknown apps' (translating from dutch here) (Settings > Apps > Dropbox). For other permissions, it is allowed 'storage', and denied 'camera' and 'contacts' (which seems okay to me).
If you can point me where to look for other permissions, please advice!

I do not see any other OS updates pending. And just to be sure, restarting my phone did not help.

Thanks, and cheers,

Steven

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

It does sound like you've got the permission set accordingly, @StevenDeB

You can check out this thread too, where others have previously expressed similar concerns, and I'll also leave this discussion open in case any other like-minded users have additional input on the matter. 

In the meantime, let me know of any updates. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JanHartzer
New member | Level 2
Steven,
This seems to be an Android problem. I can not install any apk from any source since the last android update. I can not even update any app that is apk based. All my permissions is set and allowed. Still searching for a solution.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JanHartzer New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    StevenDeB Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?