cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac, iPad and iPhone won’t sync

Mac, iPad and iPhone won’t sync

Calaska
Explorer | Level 4
I’m using a Mac running High Sierra, an iPhone and iPad using the latest iOS. I’ve been using Dropbox for many years and have not been able to sync the three devices. My phone Dropbox says I only have two of three devices connected. I ran the ‘connect a computer’ option three times and nothing changed. I made sure Dropbox is current on all three devices. I’ve quit and relaunched. Nothing seems to help. The folders and documents on my computer’s Dropbox are different than the ones on my iOS devices. I have scoured the support pages and have read the articles. I need some help!
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

It sounds like your mobile apps were syncing using the Gmail Dropbox account, and your desktop was using the business email. 

As you won't be able to login to the Dropbox site using the old business email, you won't be able to access those files from there.

Since you changed the account on your computer, you might have a 'Dropbox (Old)' folder, which should have the files from the other business account. Could you do a search for that folder, or for a filename you are aware on on your machine to see if you can find it there.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Calaska, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If the Dropbox site is only showing two devices, then that means the third device isn't connected to your account.

Which device is missing from the site?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Calaska
Explorer | Level 4
I don’t know which device is not included, and I don’t know how to find out. The content and folders on my iOS devices are the same, however the folders and files on my desktop Mac are totally different. It’s as if I have two accounts, but I don’t think I do.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

As you mentioned that the Dropbox desktop application isn't showing the same files, then let's start there. 

Is the app running in the menu bar near the clock? When you click the icon, what is the current sync status?

Is it signed into the same email address as that on the mobile app?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Calaska
Explorer | Level 4
My computer has been logged into the dropbox app ever since I created the account. It has been a lot of years. The domain of the email associated with it was changed by my provider many years ago. In trying to sync to my iOS devices, I logged out and downloaded the latest version on my computer. I had to log back in but I couldn’t remember my password. I couldn’t change it because the account no longer had a valid email. In trying to find my password I ran across a Dropbox account associated with a gmail address, so I used that. As a result, my folders on my computer now matches my iOS devices. So I guess this problem has bee solved. However, now I can’t access the old documents I had on my old profile with the old invalid email. Is there a way to get to those?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

It sounds like your mobile apps were syncing using the Gmail Dropbox account, and your desktop was using the business email. 

As you won't be able to login to the Dropbox site using the old business email, you won't be able to access those files from there.

Since you changed the account on your computer, you might have a 'Dropbox (Old)' folder, which should have the files from the other business account. Could you do a search for that folder, or for a filename you are aware on on your machine to see if you can find it there.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Calaska Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?