cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook and QuickBooks Files

Outlook and QuickBooks Files

danijor
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am closing my company, and I'm moving all my business files from a Cloud Service to my Dropbox for archiving.  I will continue using a couple of these files for personal use (my QuickBooks file, and my Outlook PST files.)   Is it safe to keep these in Dropbox, so that they will be auto-backed up when they are closed, or am I risking corruption?  TIA!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@danijor wrote:

I will continue using a couple of these files for personal use (my QuickBooks file, and my Outlook PST files.)   Is it safe to keep these in Dropbox, so that they will be auto-backed up when they are closed, or am I risking corruption?

First I'll say that using any kind of database file in Dropbox (or any other file synchronization service) is a risk. It's highly recommended that you not use such files while they're in Dropbox, but storage is fine.

That said, as long as the files are only ever opened on one computer at a time and only after the files are fully synced, you should be fine. I store my Outlook PST files in Dropbox just so they're backed up, but they're only ever accessed from a single computer. Even still, I have created a conflicted copy or two, but I've never lost any data or had one of the PST files go corrupt on me.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@danijor wrote:

I will continue using a couple of these files for personal use (my QuickBooks file, and my Outlook PST files.)   Is it safe to keep these in Dropbox, so that they will be auto-backed up when they are closed, or am I risking corruption?

First I'll say that using any kind of database file in Dropbox (or any other file synchronization service) is a risk. It's highly recommended that you not use such files while they're in Dropbox, but storage is fine.

That said, as long as the files are only ever opened on one computer at a time and only after the files are fully synced, you should be fine. I store my Outlook PST files in Dropbox just so they're backed up, but they're only ever accessed from a single computer. Even still, I have created a conflicted copy or two, but I've never lost any data or had one of the PST files go corrupt on me.

danijor
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks so much Rick!  That makes sense 🙂

danijor
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sorry!   RICH, not Rick 🙂

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

danijor Explorer | Level 3