cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red warning 1 in system tray icon

Red warning 1 in system tray icon

ModelXTC
Helpful | Level 6

Recently a red 1 appeared in my Dropbox system tray icon. When I check what it is about it says there is/was a problem syncing files. When you click the "Show now" message I get a popup window saying: "Personal" - "No errors".

I think I know which file this is about because I have my Outlook .pst file in my Dropbox folder. So whenever I use Outlook the .pst file is locked, which is pretty much the entire day.

I do not wish to see this warning the entire day and I do not wish to go to the tray and close this error every day. How can I make this error stop appearing?

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hey @ModelXTC, thanks for flagging this with us. 

Could you please confirm the version of the Dropbox desktop app you're running on your computer?

You can do this by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in the system tray/menu bar.

Also, have you tried pausing syncing when you're working on this file?

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ModelXTC
Helpful | Level 6

My version is 135.4.4221.

I have not tried to pause syncing, it would require the same effort as removing the error every day so that would not be a solution for me.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @ModelXTC, sorry to jump into your convo with Walter!

Could you send us a screenshot of what you see on your end when looking at the icon? 

If I were you, I'd double-check that all of my app notifications have been checked.

Also, do you see the app's status stating "up to date," "syncing," or "indexing"? 

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ModelXTC
Helpful | Level 6

Synchronising. Can't synchronise the .pst fileSynchronising. Can't synchronise the .pst file

When hovering the warning it says the .pst cannot be synchronised.

Warning 1 on tray iconWarning 1 on tray icon

The actual red error on the tray icon which appeared recently and returns every day.

Message when clicking warningMessage when clicking warning

When clicking the tray icon it says what it is about.

Popup when choosing display nowPopup when choosing display now

When clicking the "show now" it gives a meaningless popup which says "no errors"

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ModelXTC, thanks for all the details! 

Now, let's work on each one individually. 

In regards to the 1 red number you see there, could you click under Activity, and make sure all of your notifications are read? 

As for the syncing message in the first screenshot, it's possible that Dropbox files won't sync if they're open in another program.

Close all non-Dropbox applications to double-check, and then quit the app and open it again.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

ModelXTC
Helpful | Level 6

I am completely aware what the problem is, I use a .pst file during the day which cannot be synchronised while I have my Outlook application open, I have done so for almost 10 years now. The notification that the file couldn't be synced has always been there only recently the red "1" in the tray icon has been added on top of that. I assume it is just new functionality but I would rather not have it in plain sight like that since there is nothing wrong with any other file I am syncing 😉

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Have you tried uninstalling the app, then re-installing it @ModelXTC

If so, could you give it a go, and let me know if the same behavior is apparent there as well?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

ModelXTC
Helpful | Level 6

I have the same "issue" on multiple computers so I believe it is not related to my local installation. I will close this question now. I just wanted the Dropbox team to be aware that this functionality is no improvement for me.

AlTom
New member | Level 2

For me, I found that the issue was notifications over multiple accounts linked to the computer. To resolve the issue, I switched between all the difference work accounts and confirmed that I had all notifications 'Mark as Read'.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AlTom New member | Level 2
    ModelXTC Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?