cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Refresh required to get Upload button after every upload

Refresh required to get Upload button after every upload on Chrome browser

mmpartee
Explorer | Level 4

This seems like a recent change to how Dropbox works on Chrome on a Mac - whenever I upload a file, the +Upload button disappears, and I must refresh the browser in order to get it back. I routinely upload multiple files in a row, where the files are from many different sources, so I can't just select the bunch and upload them at once. I would REALLY like to change this behavior, and have the +Upload button available at all times. Thank you in advance Dropbox team! I hope I'm not just missing a setting somewhere where this can be changed, but I looked around and couldn't find anything that would restore having the +Upload button always available.

7 Replies 7

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting this on our Community, @mmpartee!

Since you mention this is happening on your Chrome browser, I’d like you to test this behavior on a different browser as well, and let me know if anything changes. 

One more way you can check this is via the incognito window of your Chrome browser, as it’s free of plugins that may interfere with Dropbox and cause this issue. 

Let me know what you find.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mmpartee
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Nancy! I tried it in Safari, and Safari does not have this problem. 

What happens in Chrome now (it wasn't like this two weeks ago), is that after the file-upload completes, the browser window does a split screen with the just-uploaded file opened up. As soon as the split-screen occurs, the Create, Upload, and Shared Folders buttons disappear. And they only come back after a refresh of the browser window.

Safari doesn't have this problem, because a split-screen with the opened file does not occur upon completion of an upload.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Glad to hear you don’t face the same issue on another browser, @mmpartee! Did you check Chrome for any pending updates and also cleared its cache? 

Restoring your browser to its default settings and disabling any browser plugins may also help.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

mmpartee
Explorer | Level 4

Chrome is up to date. Clearing its cache did not change the behavior. Two weeks ago, Dropbox didn't behave this way, so are you sure this isn't a new thing that Dropbox implemented? I feel like I can't be the only person this is happening to. 🙂 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mmpartee, would you mind sending over a few screenshots of the behaviors you've noticed in Chrome? 

It'll help me get a visual on this. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

mmpartee
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you so much @Megan and @Nancy . It seems that this is a browser-window width issue. In preparing screenshots, I narrowed the width of the browser window, and then the Create/Upload buttons don't disappear after an upload, because when the window is narrower, you don't get a preview of the uploaded file popping in on the right. So now I know. I think it would be great if they didn't disappear when the browser window is wider, so perhaps you can make this request of the developer team. Images attached.

Before upload:

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 12.59.12 PM.png

After upload, narrower browser window (Create/Upload buttons remain):

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 1.00.02 PM.png

After upload, but wider brower window - note Create/Upload buttons has disappeared, seemingly due to the preview window that shows up on the right:

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 1.00.43 PM.png

Once I expand the browser window to the point where the preview appears on the right, the Create/Upload buttons disappear, but they don't reappear if the window width is reduced afterwards:

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 1.09.04 PM.png

And lastly, here is the wider version after upload, but only after refreshing the browser:

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 2.07.20 PM.png

Hope this helps Dropbox get better and maybe helps others who bump into the same issue! Thank you both for your attention to this.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mmpartee, gotcha! 

Yes, this is indeed a new update, as you predicted. 

Your comments on our website have been quite helpful, and I will do everything I can to ensure that your voice is heard.

Have a lovely weekend ahead,enjoy!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?