cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SD Card to Dropbox upload question

SD Card to Dropbox upload question

5WF
Helpful | Level 5

If this is a basic question then we apologise, but we are confused.

Having looked in the Help area we see that it says is possible to transfer files (in this case photos) from an SD card into Dropbox, using the mobile app on an iPhone. We are a wildlife conservation team and would like to be able to do this for infield teams.

Unfortunately we cannot get this to work and need some help please.

The instructions say that "if you cannot find the SD card you need to verify that "Show advanced devices" is checked in "Settings"". No such option exists. We cannot see the SD card connected to the phone, in order to then select the images to upload directly to Dropbox in the app.

We do not want the images to upload from the SD card to the phone. This we can easily do already. We also do not want to upload to the phone and from the phone to Dropbox. The instructions tell everyone that direct SD card to Dropbox upload is possible.

However, is this possible (as Dropbox claim it is), and if so how please?

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has the answer.

Many thanks

Eric @ 5WF

Phones tried: iPhone 8, 10, and latest XE ... fully up to date iOS and Dropbox app versions.

19 Replies 19

5WF
Helpful | Level 5

Good afternoon @Walter 

We tried this as our first approach, before resorting to the forum option, as these rarely work in our experience.

Happy to try again, given what is a stake.

Speak soon.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Sure thing @5WF - you've got :envelope: 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

windwalkercj
Explorer | Level 4

I have this same issue and cannot find a fix. I, too, am out in the field and need to immediately upload video to Dropbox for others to use. This needs seriously to happen right away, not when the tech guys find “available” time to get around to fixing. I have a paid subscription and have used DB for well over ten years while at Microsoft, but if this app does not work the way I need it to, I will drop it in a heartbeat.  BTW, I, too, do not have time to post either a movie or screenshots of “steps-to-replicate” as my filming takes precedent over “demonstrating” my tech issues due to the limited nature of available time, light and subjects in this wooded environment. 

Working on a 5th generation 12.9 iPad Pro with iOS 15.5 while out in the wilderness. I do not and will not have access to a desktop, Mac or PC, so that is not an option for me. This is all so very disappointing and so am now looking for another app that can store these files as this is really something Dropbox should be able to do on both the mobile app and the desktop. The steps proposed so far in two forums from Dropbox moderators has not worked.

Windwalkercj at Windwalker Media

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the nudge here, @windwalkercj.

We also appreciate your feedback about this. I'll make sure your comments are passed along to our team.

As a workaround, have you tried adding the files to Dropbox through your Files app?

You can go to your Files app, tap the "..." icon, and then "select", select the files you want to upload, tap the "share" option and select Dropbox from the options.

Select the location in Dropbox you want to add them and tap "save".

I hope this helps.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

trishmennell
Helpful | Level 5

I feel your pain.  I have been trying to upload to my iPad Pro all morning and experienced the same confusing instructions resulting in an hour wasted.  Thanks, Dropbox.

trishmennell
Helpful | Level 5

This is not an internal issue, it is a request that Dropbox provide the correct information to users.

trishmennell
Helpful | Level 5

This needs to be the instructions posted on Dropbox, not a tip to be found in a thread.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @trishmennell, thanks for posting here today! 

Did you manage to upload your content using the steps Hannah had provided above? Do you face any problems when doing so?

Let me know! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

iw00d
New member | Level 2

I have moved the camera's folder to my SD-card, and now the camera sync functionality is broken. Is there any way to camera-sync from other folders than the standard Android folder?

Rich
Super User II

@iw00d wrote:

I have moved the camera's folder to my SD-card, and now the camera sync functionality is broken. Is there any way to camera-sync from other folders than the standard Android folder?

No, there isn't.

Need more support?