cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanning for text not working on Iphone or Mac

Scanning for text not working on Iphone or Mac

LiTM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've only recently learnt that scanning using the iPhone app can create a searchable pdf.  No matter what I do, whether its scanning a photo or an existing image on the device, there is no searchable information added to the pdf.  Essentially it's just an image.

As of Tuesday 16th Aug I'm running the latest Monterrey OS 12.5, iOS 15.6 (iPhone 13 Pro).  I've tried ALL the latest versions of the Dropbox apps.

I am a technical professional - I've tried all the obvious things - but it sounds like it should just work - and it's not.  I've spent hours and hours trying to get this to work.

I'm on Dropbox Plus.  It seems like that supports scanning and searching contents of files??

Not good.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

LiTM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

OK - I upgraded.  SO....... the scanning with Professional works!  which is both good and annoying (because I had to pay more money).

So my question to Dropbox is WHY DOES YOUR FEATURE TABLE IMPLY THAT SCANNING IS POSSIBLE WITH DROPBOX PLUS?

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 3.20.33 pm.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

LiTM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hmmmm...it seems like image search is only available to Professional and Business Users.

Seems to me that it would also affect scanning images into pdfs.  Can anyone comment? The documentation is conflicting (I think)

LiTM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

OK - I upgraded.  SO....... the scanning with Professional works!  which is both good and annoying (because I had to pay more money).

So my question to Dropbox is WHY DOES YOUR FEATURE TABLE IMPLY THAT SCANNING IS POSSIBLE WITH DROPBOX PLUS?

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 3.20.33 pm.png

Jackson
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @LiTM, thank you for posting in the Community. 

Images scanned as documents through our Dropbox mobile app scanner, should be searchable, but there are some restrictions.

Can you please confirm that you were scanning the images, following the steps in the linked article?

Thank you!

Jackson
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LiTM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for replying.

The steps I followed were the same for Plus and Professional. Scanning is working on professional and not on Plus.  That's the nub of it.  As you can see from the feature table - my interpretation was that Plus SHOULD support it.

The product documentation needs to be WAAAY clearer.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @LiTM, happy Wednesday! 

Your feedback regarding this has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product. 

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    LiTM Helpful | Level 6
    Jackson Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?