cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for files returns no results

Searching for files returns no results

Greg G
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Greetings.

For years, my Dropbox folder was on my 1 TB 😧 drive and I could search for content on the 😧 drive right from Windows Explorer.

Somehow, one of my settings must have changed because I can see content within Dropbox, but can't search for it. For example, in one of my image folders, I can see two dozen photos that include "camp" in the title. But, if I use Windows Explorer to search the photos folder directly, or even Dropbox as a whole, for "camp", it says no files are found.

I suspect it has something to do with the new space-saver feature and how files were imported into my new laptop in December. Almost 500 GB of space has been freed up on the 😧 drive of my new computer compared to the old.

Can some kind soul help me figure out what's not working with the Selective Sync feature?

Right now, the entire image folder is checked in Selective Sync. The settings show that folder alone is 604 GB in size. Yet, my entire Dropbox folder is taking up only 451 GB of space on the laptop, which includes dozens of other folders.

If I log into Dropbox and search for files online, all the images show up. It just doesn't work when I am searching on my laptop where the images are supposed to be stored for instant access.

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Greg G, thanks for posting!

It sounds like you're using Smart Sync to reduce the space the files are taking on your hard drive.

Next to files that are Smart Synced as "online only", you should see a grey cloud sync icon instead of the green tick. Do you see this next to the "camp" files?

If so, can you right click one of these files, choose "Smart Sync - Local", and see if you can search for the file through the File Explorer now?

Keep me posted with your findings!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Greg G, thanks for posting!

It sounds like you're using Smart Sync to reduce the space the files are taking on your hard drive.

Next to files that are Smart Synced as "online only", you should see a grey cloud sync icon instead of the green tick. Do you see this next to the "camp" files?

If so, can you right click one of these files, choose "Smart Sync - Local", and see if you can search for the file through the File Explorer now?

Keep me posted with your findings!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Greg G
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Daphne, you're brilliant!  That's exactly what happened.  Now that I know what the gray icon means, I changed the setting on some of my other folders so that I have local access to those frequently-sought files as well.  Thank you!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I'm happy to hear that helped @Greg G!

I'll be just a post away if you have any other questions. 😀

Wishing you a great rest of your week!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

chuckshek
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

when you choose local under smart sync, is that putting the folder back on your hard hard drive, or just allowing you to search for it (I have the same problem of not finding files)?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @chuckshek; sorry to hear you're having issues with searching/finding your files on your computer. 

Can you please let me know what's the exact status of our desktop app in your menu bar/system tray?

When it comes to your concern, note that when you make your files or folders locally available through the relevant Smart Sync option, they will need to sync down to your machine and will take up space on your hard drive; just like your other files/folders. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Stasik
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue...

However, my dropbox folder on my computer does read "Local" with a green checkmark

I also checked the folder option to ensure it's indexing and still it does not search any files on my dropbox folder when I use File  Explorer.

Please help

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Stasik, if you're still experiencing this issue, please could you contact the support team directly for further assistance.

They should be able to investigate from there on.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bjornar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi!

I have the same issue as Stasik above.

My files are all stored locally with a green check mark, but Windows search can't find them even though there is no exception in the Windows Search index for the Dropbox folder or any of its subfolders. Is there any known reason for this, or can we troublehoot it? It has been the case for a long time, probably over a year, I don't remember it ever working.

I can't find a way to contact support on your link, presumably because I am on a free account. Thanks for any help!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I hope you're doing well @Bjornar

As a first step, can you let me know the version of your app, and its syncing status

Keep in mind that the version should look something like: xxx.3.xxx or xxx.4.xxxx. 

Any screenshots of you re-creating the situation are more than welcome. 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Bjornar New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Stasik New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?