cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share directory via command-line

Share directory via command-line

SPZC
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I have Dropbox client installed on Fedora. Everything works as a charm, but I cannot find one function. I am not sure if it is available. 

I have list of dedicated directory names and emails in csv file like:

user1;email1@gmail.com

user2;email2@gmail.com

I use bash script to create directory for every user*. But is there a possibility of sharing directories via email as it is possible in Web UI? As I have many directories, sharing all of them in web browser is consuming a lot of time. I would expect something like:

dropbox share user1 email1@gmail.com 

Which can be easily scripted. 

Any idea? 

3 Replies 3

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Hey @SPZC, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Through the command line you'll only be able to share with a shared link. You can find more info on the command here.

This will only allow them view and download access to the file, so if you need to add them with editing access, you'll need to go through the website instead I'm afraid.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SPZC
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this is not suitable for me.  Even with the shared url I would have to send mails manually. 

Is there any way to automate sharing via email?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for getting back to me here @SPZC.

If you're using a headless install, there isn't much more I could suggest here.

You would be able to share from the local Dropbox folder if you used the full desktop app, which you can check out the requirements for here, if you're interested.

Otherwise, if you're comfortable with using API, I could suggest checking out this page, or even posting in our dedicated API section here.

I hope this helps to some extent!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    SPZC Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?