cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared/missing files

Shared/missing files

barredondo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have shared a folder and now the files have been "moved" by the person I shared the folder with.  Can someone you share a folder with move your files elsewhere?  Now, my folder is empty and the files are gone.  When I look at the activity of the folder it shows that I shared the folder and that each file was "moved" by the person I shared it with.  

How can I get my files back? and Can someone really just take your files from your folder that you shared with them?

Thank you. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @barredondo 

Thats how shares work I'm afraid - the other people can move them around at will. However, moving out of the shared folder does delete for everybody. People need to be told this when starting to use shares as they'll often want to move the files to a different directory not realising it'll delete for everybody else. 

As long as it was deleted within 30 days you can restore via https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/recover-deleted-files-folders or ask the person to put them back 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @barredondo 

Thats how shares work I'm afraid - the other people can move them around at will. However, moving out of the shared folder does delete for everybody. People need to be told this when starting to use shares as they'll often want to move the files to a different directory not realising it'll delete for everybody else. 

As long as it was deleted within 30 days you can restore via https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/recover-deleted-files-folders or ask the person to put them back 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?