cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing of Overlay Icon/ Hack

Sharing of Overlay Icon/ Hack

HansHansen
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I would like to ask why you at Dropbox dont find a way to share/merge the overlay icon wiht other app's using similar icons?  instead of trying ot overtake them all...? breaking other apps for no good reason !

We now get a reminder from dropbox app, to reinstall, to fix settings as I moved dropbox icons lower down in the list of overlay icons.

We use other more important app's where we want icons to show, for example SVN, and it's rather anoying that; if dropbox get's it's will, it takes over the top position by inserting several spaces before the name... Rally ?

Since windows still have this limitation of 15 icons, why not reuse whatever is there? they all look more or less the same ? or limit the use to 4-5 icons,  red/gree, blue is even actually plenty thats 3, or even just ask the user if they wish to use a shorter set of icons. Maybe even a 4'th one, that could be a generic one for all other stuff. Please consider solving it, so we dont have to keep pushing dp icons down on the list anyway, and thereby losing them all together. Maybe have a talk with ms, and have them solve it in their end, after all how hard can it be !

Thanks 

Best regards

Hans Hansen

10 Replies 10

lemonjuice
New member | Level 2

Owncloud is the name of the open source software that you can install on your own server. However, there are many companies that offer cloud service based on owncloud and there you can sign up and get everything set up for you just like with Dropbox. I haven't used any of them so I can't recommend anything specific but the most obvious would be owncloud.online.

You could also look for Nextcloud services - I haven't used it but Nextcloud is a fork of Owncloud so I suspect its Windows client deals with overlay icons the same as Owncloud. I would recommend searching for "owncloud providers" and "nextcloud providers" and you'll find many options to choose from.

BTW, it's surprising how there's been absolutely no progress on this issue since the start of this thread. Instead, the other thread I mentioned got blocked and new requests for this are treated as if it's something new and the Dropbox team don't know what you are talking about. So far I'm happy now without Dropbox but perhaps I'll look for a free provider of owncloud/nextcloud for my small private needs because upgrading owncloud on a cheap hosting service is not easy (not supported by owncloud), probably installing a new version from the start would be easier.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lemonjuice New member | Level 2
    luckyluke007 Helpful | Level 5
    GertvB New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?