cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing of Overlay Icon/ Hack

Sharing of Overlay Icon/ Hack

HansHansen
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I would like to ask why you at Dropbox dont find a way to share/merge the overlay icon wiht other app's using similar icons?  instead of trying ot overtake them all...? breaking other apps for no good reason !

We now get a reminder from dropbox app, to reinstall, to fix settings as I moved dropbox icons lower down in the list of overlay icons.

We use other more important app's where we want icons to show, for example SVN, and it's rather anoying that; if dropbox get's it's will, it takes over the top position by inserting several spaces before the name... Rally ?

Since windows still have this limitation of 15 icons, why not reuse whatever is there? they all look more or less the same ? or limit the use to 4-5 icons,  red/gree, blue is even actually plenty thats 3, or even just ask the user if they wish to use a shorter set of icons. Maybe even a 4'th one, that could be a generic one for all other stuff. Please consider solving it, so we dont have to keep pushing dp icons down on the list anyway, and thereby losing them all together. Maybe have a talk with ms, and have them solve it in their end, after all how hard can it be !

Thanks 

Best regards

Hans Hansen

10 Replies 10

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there Hans ( @HansHansen) - how are you today? 

Let me start by thanking you for the elaborate feedback - I'll pass your comments to our dev team for consideration. 

Now, as I understand it, this issue is related to other applications (i.e. TortoiseSVN) on your computer that use the icon overlays and context menu functionality of your Windows' OS.

Moreover, as you successfully pointed out, Windows has a limit of 15 overlay icons that Windows Explorer can load while the OS reserves 4 for its own use. Our desktop application employs a number of icon overlays and context menus for added functionality as they allow the user to understand the state of a file or folder as well as be able to use other Dropbox features.

On Windows there is no option in the desktop application to turn them off and we would not recommend attempting to manually disable these overlays as they play a vital part in the functionality of the Dropbox application.  As an example, imagine that you ran out of space on your Dropbox and are unable to sync or backup data to the web. In that case, we will display the red X icon on the files that haven't synced online. With the overlays disabled you wouldn't see this and may not be aware that your Dropbox is no longer syncing.

Information on how to check the number of icons and steps on how to resolve issues involving them can be found in this Help Center article under the "For our advanced users" section.

Having said that and as I'd really like to help with this, I was able to find a thread that another user had suggested in the past to counter this behavior (it includes managing your registry keys and removing the "write" permission to the "ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers" key). 

In closing, I wanted to let you know that you can also upvote this feature request on this page or share your thoughts and suggestions with us directly through the "Share an Idea" section  of our Forum. 

Finally, you can also contact this 3rd party app (SVN) or even Microsoft as you mentioned, and express your thoughts and ideas to them as well. 

I know this is not much of a help but I hope it clears some things up. If there's anything else I can do from my end to help, do let me know Hans.

Cheers!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

getbentdolphin
New member | Level 2

No problem. Uninstalling dropbox.

Cheers!

Reg3
New member | Level 2

Dropbox is dancing around the issue trying to make it like the problem is with other apps.

Dropbox used to take 4 shell icons (out of the max 15 available for EVERYONE in Windows). That was reasonable, and worked well.  Now, they're using 10 (yes, 10!) icons (out of 15), 5 of which have always been used by Windows itself.  How much room left for everyone else?  Zero room.  That's called being a hog.

Worse, it's interesting to note that with Dropbox constantly moving the icons back up in priority even if you change them, they always hog.  So, an aggressive hog. 

It's interesting to note that OneDrive has a few overlay icons, and look, they never get a chance.  Coincidence?  I think not.

So Tortoise users seem like collateral damage in a hogging war between Dropbox and OneDrive.  Interestingly enough, OneDrive is the one actually playing nice.

Please Dropbox, be better than this.  Go back to using 4 icons, it'll be fair and everyone will be happy, and that's all you actually need. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Reg3 - sorry if I'm missing something here but could you send me a screenshot of where you see our desktop app occupying 10 shell icons on your Windows device?

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Rich
Super User II

886e483e354245171801f96c638f7e1c.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the visual aid @Rich - I appreciate it.

I'll pass this on to the team as feedback for their consideration.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

GertvB
New member | Level 2

Same here, deleting my dropbox, Toirtoise SVN is far more important to me than dropbox

lemonjuice
New member | Level 2

I've also found Dropbox very offensive in forcing its own overlay icons on top of other applications' icons. This problem has been beaten to death in other threads like this one and it appears the devs are not willing to address it. A workaround I used was to make a .bat file like this:

reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\   DropboxExt01" /f
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\   DropboxExt02" /f
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\   DropboxExt03" /f
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\   DropboxExt04" /f
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\   DropboxExt05" /f
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\   DropboxExt06" /f
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\   DropboxExt07" /f
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\   DropboxExt08" /f
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\   DropboxExt09" /f
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers\   DropboxExt10" /f
pause

and run it as admin whenever Dropbox pushed its own icons after an update. But still this was annoying.

Recently, I've applied a much better solution - I simply got rid of Dropbox and installed OwnCloud - the installation even on a shared hosting turned out to be pretty easy and I now I have an independed cloud storage. But more importantly, its Windows application installs only 5 icons into the registry so they can coexist nicely with the icons of my TortoiseGit installation. And if someone still doesn't want the icons then it's possible to uncheck shell integration in the installation wizard (I don't know why such a simple but important feature is ignored by the Dropbox devs).

luckyluke007
Helpful | Level 5

Hello lemonjuice

as a paying Dropbox user and developper I also get really pissed by this.

You mention the owncloud solution: do you need to provide your own server for that, or is that also something where you can get a subscription? (I don't have and don't want to have an own server).

Tnx

Luc

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lemonjuice New member | Level 2
    luckyluke007 Helpful | Level 5
    GertvB New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?