cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing using a Copied Link versus folder.

Sharing using a Copied Link versus folder.

janice259
Helpful | Level 6

Our firm has Dropbox Business. I usually use "Copy Link" and then copy the link and send an email to recipients outside of our firm so that they may access and download documents. I set it so anyone with the link can access the files.

Lately, I notice that sometimes the recipient might forward my email with the link their assistant to download for them. When that assistant tries to access the file, I get an email from Dropbox saying that person wants to join my shared folder.

Why does that person need to join my folder? Shouldn't they be able to access the files without joining?

Thanks,

Janice

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@janice259 wrote:

Lately, I notice that sometimes the recipient might forward my email with the link their assistant to download for them. When that assistant tries to access the file, I get an email from Dropbox saying that person wants to join my shared folder.

Did you send a "can view" or "can edit" link? Check the defaults for your links and make sure you have it set to Can View as the default. When you send a link with Can Edit permissions, anyone accessing the link needs a Dropbox account and needs explicit permission to access the link.

janice259
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you Rich.

Another question - What is the difference in choosing "Copy Link" versus "Share"?

Rich
Super User II

@janice259 wrote:

Thank you Rich.

Another question - What is the difference in choosing "Copy Link" versus "Share"?

The Share button gets you to all of the sharing options where you can choose to create a link for viewing, editing, or sharing a folder. An edit link or sharing a folder are explicit methods of sharing (sent to a specific person or persons), where a link for viewing can just be copied and accessed by anyone with the link.

Copy Link is just a shortcut for creating a link quickly, and it will be created as a view or edit link based on the defaults you have set in your account.

JasonSilverDBX
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi Janice, I'm a Sharing Product Manager here at Dropbox.  Just to build on Rich's advice here, I thought I'd add a bit more context for other folks who may come across your post.

Difference between "Copy Link" and "Share"?

Assuming you're referring to the options that appear when you hover over a file or folder in the browse screen, "Copy Link" is a shortcut to copy a shared link to the content based on your default sharing settings.  If a link does not already exist, clicking this will create a new link for you.  Share opens what we call the Share Modal - as pop up window which contains the full suite of sharing methods and settings.  From here you can either create shared links along with modifying their settings, or invite people to the content directly via email.  

Why does that person need to join my folder? Shouldn't they be able to access the files without joining?

Creating a view only link to content where link audience is set to anyone with link would not require someone to login to view.  You're correct there!  However view only folder links do offer recipients the option to "Join Folder" upon which they will need to login and would trigger a request access to you as the folder owner.  If you do not need recipients to download and don't want them to be able to join the folder, you can disable download and join from the link settings.

Hope this helps!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JasonSilverDBX Dropbox Product Manager
    Rich Super User II
    janice259 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?