cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync storage issue on macOS Sierra 10.12- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Smart Sync storage issue on macOS Sierra 10.12- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Fowzie T.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm really confused, the premise of smart sync is to free up local storage. This is a screenshot of a folder which contains about 2GB of data.  Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjd34t39t0q7312/Screenshot%202017-02-18%2012.03.41.png?dl=0

128 Replies 128

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
@m_a_l_c_o_l_m, I’m letting our team know about your suggestions. 

Thanks for posting! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

timrslater
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am on 10.13.1 and this still isn't working? I can't calculate how much storage I have on my Mac because dropbox online only items are being included...

Is this going to be fixed?

makedonetz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here! Any ideas how to fix this?

Size of dropbox folder 250GB, but size on a disk 83GB..

jdelamater
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have updated to 10.13 and still having the same issue. You can see Finder shows it's set to online only and it's taking space on the computer. What shall I do?

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 5.18.30 PM.png

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi everyone, 

I’m sorry that you are experiencing this. We have a new stable version of our desktop app, 39.4.49. Please make sure that you are running this version (not a beta), and if the issue persists, submit a support ticket here, so an agent can investigate further. 

If you are on a beta build, it means that you have opted in to Early Releases in your online account settings. I recommend that you switch this off, and then install our stable build. A beta version is denoted by a xx.3.xx, instead of the xx.4.xx.

Thanks!

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

jquintanilla4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem. I am on the latest MacOS release and on the latest stable Dropbox stable release. I've followed all the instructions regarding the extensions and allowing this and that to do its business. But I am still stuck with my whole dropbox 33GB folder, even though 95% percent has been marked as online-only. Oh and I've waited about a day for the dropbox desktop app to do its thing in the background and maybe delete the stuff that I marked online-only, because I read from some people on this thread that you just have to wait. But I'm still stuck with my full folder.

Help... When will this get fixed?

JohnDyer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Sanchez, I'm on macOS 10.12.6 and Dropbox 39.4.49, but I'm having the same problem others have been reporting where folders marked as "Online" are still taking up space.

Is there any solution?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey jquintanilla4 & JohnDyer, let’s check what’s happening together & we’ll take it from there!

#1. jquintanilla4 & JohnDyer: To better determine the case, could you let me know what you can see once you double-click on the Get Info” option on the Dropbox folder? As you’ve mentioned, you’ve made most of your files online-only, therefore these shouldn’t be taking as much space on your hard disc. I’d appreciate a screenshot of what you can see there, just so as to make sure I understand what you’re experiencing correctly. 

#2. Please make sure to check this & this additional resources on Smart Sync and system extensions. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you here!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

JohnDyer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks @Jane! Here's a screenshot showing that a folder is taking up > 200GB even though it's marked as "Online". I see that it's supposed to only be "201KB on disk" but it's still taking up the full 203.98 GB. Is there a trick to reconciling that?

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 4.23.46 PM-edit.png

jquintanilla4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks @Jane. I've already followed both link tutorials that you sent before, but I just made sure again that everything was in order. No change. 

Here are screenshots of what you asked for. Let me know if you need more information.

A big sized folder example that should not be that bigA big sized folder example that should not be that bigMy main Dropbox folder infoMy main Dropbox folder infoA screen shot of most of my Dropbox folder to show how much is actually being told to be online-onlyA screen shot of most of my Dropbox folder to show how much is actually being told to be online-only

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    ory New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?