cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sort by name, folders first

Sort by name, folders first

Alexey S.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Lately my sorting has been screwed up on web version of Dropbox. My files & folders are sorted alphabetically. What I really want is sorting by name, grouping by kind so that folders are displayed first (sorted by name) followed by files sorted by name. Please advise me on how to do that? Thanks

21 Replies 21

UD B.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thank you very much for letting me know that a Mac user agent will get pure alphabetical sorting. That's exactly what I want. I use file name prefixes expecting that files and folders with the same prefix will sort together.

I agree there should be an option. Good file browsers allow the user to choose their sort options (alphabetical or type + alphabetical) to fit the situation. Dropbox seems to give the web interface very little attention, so I guess they expect use to mostly use PC to PC sync and the native file browser.

dvmierlo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Alphabetical sorting of files and folders on a Mac is a personal preference. OS X provides an option to the user to keep the folders on top.

Regadless of the platform or application, the user should always have this option.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?