cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Usage reported for online-only folders on Finder doesn't match the "User Info".

Storage Usage reported for online-only folders on Finder doesn't match the "User Info".

nino2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So after more than a year of discussion on pretty much the same topic, this  still has not been resolved. Sugesting that issue will be resolved in the next version of software is somewhat unacceptable, and if you try to imagine this in any other profesion, you will agree, it would not be tolerated. We just designed a house for you and although it says its 200m2 it is acctually 150m2. But don't worry we can build another one for you and it will now be 200m2. 

When storage gets limited on computer, there is something starting to happen with all computers, that cause them to overheat. I am no computer genious, but many will agree this is just what acctually happens. So basically I had 500gb SSD and becouse of this issue I am acctually using only about 100gb, becouse the rest is taken by files I do not have on my computer but rather on Dropbox online, yet still it makes the rest of my disc unusable. So not only this feature is completely useless, might as well have files on my computer in the first place, it also damages my computer. 

I had similar issue with Box before, now Dropbox... amazing. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HGohar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

According to Dropbox team @Jane, if the info about the dropbox folder is close or equal to zero bytes, it means it doesn't take any physical space on the hard disc. The problem I guess that the operating system still sees it as if it is taking that physical space and acts accordingly, i.e., full disc or neat full. I don't know what is the way around that.

View solution in original post

39 Replies 39

slypapp
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for the tip. I've been fighting with TM a while ago, sending Apple to hell several times that it is not working, and cannot finish the backups.

garczys
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? as we have a MacPro here and it's doing the same thing.

Any help greatly appreciated 🙂

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
 Hey all, thanks for posting on the Dropbox Forum on this syncing-related matter! 

You may keep in mind that I’ve moved your posts to a new thread, as the issue reported there has been resolved for the users affected & I’d like to perform some initial troubleshooting, so as to determine if you’re experiencing a similar behavior. 

For starters, can you make sure that you’re running a supported version of the OS & the latest version of the Dropbox version of the Dropbox application on your system tray (46.4.65)? 

If so, can you also ensure that Dropbox is actively running (eg. are your overlay icons loading correctly on your files)? Also, can you include any screenshots indicating the behavior (&/or any discrepancy) in your next replies here, so as to check back with you in more detail? 

Please include any other detail in regards to your configuration that would help identify the behavior & we’ll take it from there. 

Thanks in advance & I’ll be awaiting your next posts here! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

akaraetteh
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I don’t use TM to backup my Dropbox folder...again, not sure why you would do that?

However not seeing the true sizes of folders (ie the space they’re taking up on local drive) is rather annoying

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey akaraetteh, to have a closer look into discrepancies of the disc usage reported when making files available Online-only, please include a screenshot of the behavior in your next reply, as well as any additional details, so as to check back on the matter together. 

Thanks in advance & I’ll be awaiting your next post here! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

akaraetteh
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jane

Here's a photo that gives you an indication of all you need to know

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4CTpPG8HVFDtzVwd2

MacOS Sierra

Latest stable dropbox build

my folder is 160GB (reported by OS), but "taking up" approx 40GB

Also view the 2 online-only folders: Demig0s...XYZ - both reported as 1.74GB, and the parent folder as 3.5GB...

IMG_4390 - dropbox taking up too much space 2018.04.07.JPG

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @akaraetteh

Just a quick note on this, keep in mind that 47.4.74 is already out and I would suggest to download it from here as quick as possible as this is always the first step in order to continue troubleshooting if needed. 

If possible, could you also let us know what your desktop is reporting ? If syncing is complete, you should see the "Up to date" message.

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey akaraetteh, & just to add to Walt3R’s comment that, when it comes to the screenshot, I can see that your Acara” folder is a Mixed state folder, meaning that it contains both local and online-only content, therefore it’s my understanding that the 40 GBs being reported as used are in fact residing on our Mac at the moment. 

Following, if it’s not too much trouble for you, could you repeat the same process for your "Demig0s” folder (the one that you’ve already marked as Online-only” on the screenshot) & send me one more screenshot in your next post here? What do you see on the User Info”? Does your folder report as taking up space, despite being Smart Synced? 

Thanks again for your ongoing cooperation here & I’ll be awaiting your next post on this discussion. Happy Friday! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

akaraetteh
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hang on. I’m not disputing the 40GB. I (and many others) are frustrated that every folder reports its size as the size of the full folder, as if the OS doesn’t know files are online only

Eg I KNOW my Akara folder is only 40GB on my disk. But I can’t tell from my OS which folders are taking up the most space on my disk because the OS doesn’t report that. So if, for example, I want to free up some space on my disk, I can’t go to MacOS Finder, sort by size, and make the biggest folder online only. Because doing that won’t affect what is the “biggest” folder as reported to the OS.
The BIGGEST folder reported by the OS is only the folder that’s taking up the most space in the cloud, not the one taking up the most space locally

Furthermore I’m away for a week and so won’t be at my work computer. But if the update is available for Sierra I’ll make sure it happens (we’re very careful with upgrades as they often break something critical)
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    CharleyW Explorer | Level 4
    HGohar Helpful | Level 6
    AntMask New member | Level 2
    ledbetterpro New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?