cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sync a folder via terminal

Sync a folder via terminal

sofmak86
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How can I sync a folder via terminal in Linux?
I had installed Dropbox to that machine, but only synced one folder and now I need to work remotely from my Mac. I don't have 'physical access' anymore, so I need to activate and sync a second folder remotely.
There is no option to open an interface (e.g. open nautilus via xQuartz) and do it with mouse.

Thanks alot!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @sofmak86 - how are you today?

From what I understand you'd like to sync back a folder that you had selectively unsynced in the past from this specific machine (the Linux one). 

In that case, you'll need to use the "exclude" command first and let the app sync until it shows (reports) 'Up to date'. You can find more about the available commands below:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/linux-commands

Specifically your command should like: 

'dropbox exclude remove [DIRECTORY] [DIRECTORY]' (where DIRECTORY refers to your folders' names)

This removes one or more directories from the exclusion list, and then resynchronizes Dropbox. Please note that any specified path must be within the Dropbox folder.

Let us know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, @sofmak86!

As a first step, could you please clarify if you’re trying to sync a folder that exists inside your Dropbox folder or outside of it? Is your desktop app on both devices running and up to date? 

Any additional info on what you’re trying to achieve and the steps you’re taking would be very helpful. Thanks in advance! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sofmak86
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, Lusil and thank you very much for your prompt response.

The dropbox app in the Linux machine works. I don't know if the version is up to date. Last time I used it was in August of 2018. Hopefully there was no any other significant changes in a latest version (if there is any). If not, please help me update it through the command window (via ssh).

The folder I want to sync is already in my dropbox and synced in two other devises. So, what I would like to find out is whether there is an option to activate this folder through the command window.

Thanks again for your help! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @sofmak86 - how are you today?

From what I understand you'd like to sync back a folder that you had selectively unsynced in the past from this specific machine (the Linux one). 

In that case, you'll need to use the "exclude" command first and let the app sync until it shows (reports) 'Up to date'. You can find more about the available commands below:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/linux-commands

Specifically your command should like: 

'dropbox exclude remove [DIRECTORY] [DIRECTORY]' (where DIRECTORY refers to your folders' names)

This removes one or more directories from the exclusion list, and then resynchronizes Dropbox. Please note that any specified path must be within the Dropbox folder.

Let us know how it goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?