cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sync speed is slow - Synology NAS Cloud Sync

Sync speed is slow - Synology NAS Cloud Sync

Jakob S.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Recently upgraded to Dropbox Pro 1TB, currently syncing my NAS (650 GB of data). Upload speed never comes above appr. 250kB/s, so first sync will take almost 2 mths.

Upload speed in both Windows app and in Synology app all set to unlimited.

How can I remove Dropbox's speed limit? Very frustrating!

Using Synology Cloud Sync on DSM 5.2.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joni S.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Guy's

Response from Synology:

Could Sync is performing sync, it is heavy process, please see below detailed information from help:

Why is Cloud Sync slower than other cloud services' PC applications?

Due to the below limitations, Cloud Sync might take longer to sync files with public cloud services than the official PC applications such as Dropbox and Baidu.

• Speed limits imposed by cloud service providers: Although no public cloud service provider has disclosed any information related to this topic, it is highly possible that public cloud servers communicate with their official PC applications through a dedicated tunnel/protocol, or impose bandwidth limitations on third-party applications that access their services on a regular basis (such as Cloud Sync).
  • No incremental update: Some cloud service providers do not releases a public API for developers to track file changes. This means Cloud Sync must re-download and sync the entire file every time a file has been modified, even when you've only made partial modifications. On the other hand, cloud service providers' official PC applications might be able to re-download and sync the modified bits only, reducing sync time.
  • No local network sync: Certain public cloud service providers offer LAN sync, a technique that allows one client to obtain files from existing clients in the same local area network (LAN), thus significantly boosting sync speed. However, LAN sync accesses files in client computers without notifying them, which could possibly become a security backdoor. Therefore, this feature is not included in Cloud Sync.

Given the above limitations, the syncing performance of Cloud Sync shall continue to be enhanced, while also maintaining the safety and security of your Synology NAS.

DS currently does not control the sync speed, and does not have function to enhance it.

However, we will continue to try improve our service and product.

-----

For me this seems to be just an issue with "Early Life Cycle" of product. No collaboration between Synology and Dropbox is done enough and no real effort put into performance. Hope they could improve this, but there seems not to be viable solution or possible enhancement on this issue.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Joni S.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Sama issue here with my video files in Cloud Sync and dropbox 1TB. Using Synology Cloud Sync on DSM 5.2 with latest updates. Upload speeds about 200-400kB/s. Issue is not with network as same time I did sync with my iMac dropbox client for 90GB photos and it went fast. Up-to 7MB/s. My connection speed is 100/100Mb/s

Greg H.33
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

That's better than mine.  I haven't even reached 100GB after more than a week.  Anybody tried Drive to see if it's faster?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If its working with Dropbox on its own but not with Synology it sounds like an issue with there software - have you tried contacting them for assistance? 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Greg H.33
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Posted to their forums a week+ ago.  Recently reached out via support form.  We'll see...

Joni S.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Guy's

Response from Synology:

Could Sync is performing sync, it is heavy process, please see below detailed information from help:

Why is Cloud Sync slower than other cloud services' PC applications?

Due to the below limitations, Cloud Sync might take longer to sync files with public cloud services than the official PC applications such as Dropbox and Baidu.

• Speed limits imposed by cloud service providers: Although no public cloud service provider has disclosed any information related to this topic, it is highly possible that public cloud servers communicate with their official PC applications through a dedicated tunnel/protocol, or impose bandwidth limitations on third-party applications that access their services on a regular basis (such as Cloud Sync).
  • No incremental update: Some cloud service providers do not releases a public API for developers to track file changes. This means Cloud Sync must re-download and sync the entire file every time a file has been modified, even when you've only made partial modifications. On the other hand, cloud service providers' official PC applications might be able to re-download and sync the modified bits only, reducing sync time.
  • No local network sync: Certain public cloud service providers offer LAN sync, a technique that allows one client to obtain files from existing clients in the same local area network (LAN), thus significantly boosting sync speed. However, LAN sync accesses files in client computers without notifying them, which could possibly become a security backdoor. Therefore, this feature is not included in Cloud Sync.

Given the above limitations, the syncing performance of Cloud Sync shall continue to be enhanced, while also maintaining the safety and security of your Synology NAS.

DS currently does not control the sync speed, and does not have function to enhance it.

However, we will continue to try improve our service and product.

-----

For me this seems to be just an issue with "Early Life Cycle" of product. No collaboration between Synology and Dropbox is done enough and no real effort put into performance. Hope they could improve this, but there seems not to be viable solution or possible enhancement on this issue.

Robin T.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi there

Finally see someone having same issue as I do.  I have been trying hard to figure out which part causing the problem and I am now pretty sure it is from Dropbox.  The performance in my case is actually even worse, on 30-50k/s in general  I originally pointed the issue to my local network.  I thought somehow my router limited it.  But I switch to an old and got the same result.  Then I thought it's from Synology.  I tried to set the upload limit to different numbers (even up to 1000000k/s).  Result is the same.

Finally something catch my eyes which is a spite every time I reset everything and restart the process.  The upload speed goes up to 2-3m/s for a while (It's not just the number on screen b/c I do see some files suddenly sync completely).  Then I remember the Dropbox PC client has a setting of upload limit.  On PC client, by default it is set as auto (means Dropbox would control it to not taking all your bandwidth.  And you can this setting change it on your own. However, for the Synology client, the setting we see is only local control.  I can only guess that Dropbox still put in that same auto control to somehow look at your bandwidth.  That explains why different people get a little different result.

I really want to see improvement on this in coming updates because I am planning to expand my server size and Dropbox is an important piece (somehow I do not get along with Google Driver well).  For now, the only work around for me is to sync everything through a PC client and then go online and move the files to a folder that the PC do not sync with.  That quite troublesome but I guess better than the never ending upload story...

andrew l.54
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same issues here - 100MB dedicated fiber connection and GB LAN no other throughput issues aside from getting files to cloud services - specifically DB.

I manage to get 2MB/s with Synology cloud sync to DB when I am getting 10x that with other tests.  Hoping there is some improvement soon.  I guess that is one way of making sure I don't exceed the initial 5TB I was given with my DB Business account.

Joni S.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Andrew, I have noticed on service that nowadays it really can reach 2MB/s in uploads. This is nearly 5 to 10 times better than originally when I made my first post. I have not changed my settings in LAN or fiber connection. Synology/Dropbox had made something. But, still room for improvment for sure.

Jonathan S.54
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My download speed on a 75Mbps (verified) is very slow using CloudSync.  I'm just trying to download my dropbox to my new DS1515+, which has plenty of power and is only hitting 30% of CPU and 20% of RAM.  Here's the problem.  When syncing, it bursts to fast and then nothing:

Need more support?