cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing problems

Syncing problems

mhch83
Explorer | Level 3

Hello. I work on a Mac running Ventura 13.3.1 (a). Ever since the last update of the Dropbox application, I've been experiencing many synchronization problems. Firstly, the green checkmark icon that used to appear everywhere when something was available offline is no longer visible. Secondly, I have numerous folders with a cloud and a downward arrow, but there are also many folders (which I have already synchronized) with no icon at all, and I don't know the status of those files or folders, whether they are in the cloud or on my hard drive. And thirdly, and most importantly, my synchronization has been paused for 1 month (yes, 1 month), with a message saying that 33.8GB is synchronizing, but there are many files that say "waiting to sync," and as a result, any new file I add doesn't upload. I have tried all possible options, including reinstalling the application, but nothing happens, and it goes back to telling me that it's synchronizing the 33.8GB. Does somebody know what can be happening? Just to let you know, I haven't made any changes to the internet or firewall settings; everything is the same as when it was working. Thank you.

34 Replies 34

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mhch83, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The sync icons can be explained on this page, as you're on a Mac OS device which the newer version of the desktop app.

When you reinstalled the app, did you do the advanced reinstallation, or something else?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mhch83
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay, thank you for your response. Yes, I read everything that was legible and I also saw the issue with the icons and I know what they mean. That's why I'm telling you that it's a mess on my Mac. The downloaded files and folders don't show the green checkmark, but there are folders or files that don't have the cloud and arrow symbol, meaning they appear without any symbol at all, yet they show up on the Dropbox website as if they're already uploaded to the cloud. I don't understand anything, and it's all quite chaotic. Additionally, I have to mention that, as I said, for the past month, it shows that it's syncing 33.8GB, but it's not synchronizing anything. I've tried deleting the cache, but it won't let me. Everything changed after the latest application update. No, I haven't done the advanced reinstallation you mentioned, but I'm afraid that files might get deleted since I have a lot of work-related stuff that I can't afford to lose. Do you think someone could help me directly with this? Thank you in advance.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

For files without any syncing icon, according to the article I previously provided, it means that they're 'Available', so those should also be synced to the site as you described. 

When you say it's not syncing anything, does this mean if you add a new file into the Dropbox folder it won't upload to the site? Could you also try uploading a file to the site itself to see if it appears on your machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mhch83
Explorer | Level 3
If I place a file from my Mac into the Dropbox folder, it doesn't upload and appears with the cloud symbol, but this time without the arrow (I don't know what that means).

If I upload a file directly from the web, it uploads without any issues, but it doesn't appear in my Mac folder.

If I upload a file from my Samsung mobile phone, it shows up as uploaded on the Dropbox website, but again, it doesn't appear in my Mac folder.

Everything indicates that the problem is with my Mac sync. As I mentioned, for the past month there seems to be a bottleneck that doesn't allow any file to upload or download, and I don't know what to do to fix it. I've tried everything.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If you click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar what message do you see on the bottom left?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mhch83
Explorer | Level 3

"sincronizando 2392 archivos"    33,8gb

And there's a huge queue of files that say 'esperando para sincronizar,' and nothing happens.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If you click the avatar in the desktop app on the top right, and 'View sync issues', do any messages appear there?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mhch83
Explorer | Level 3
No, it says everything's ok

mhch83
Explorer | Level 3

Something I can do?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    mhch83 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?