cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To view a file via a link it opens in Word for the Web now

To view a file via a link it opens in Word for the Web now

Rmorris8
Explorer | Level 3

Previously, when I used a saved link to get to my Dropbox document, it opened right up. Now I have to Open in Word for the Web. When did this change? and why? or is there some setting that changed? I share this link to members of my Facebook page and now I have to add instructions for them to do that; very inconvenient.

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Rmorris8, thanks for messaging the Community!

Did you create a shared link to the file, or was it via another method to access the document?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rmorris8
Explorer | Level 3

I had previously copied the link and pasted into another Word doc that I keep open on my desktop with several others so I can access them quickly or share the link with others. I had copied the link from that doc into a new browser tab.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Rmorris8, sorry to jump in. 

Just to clarify, was the file opening in Word for the web directly previously, and now it opens a preview on www.dropbox.com instead? 

Feel free to send me a screenshot of what you see when clicking on the shared link of a test file, and I’ll take a look.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rmorris8
Explorer | Level 3

It previously opened directly to the document (I don't know if it was Word for the web; it just opened). Then it started just opening a blank page with the options of File/Edit/View/Help and under that Self-sign, send for signature, Open in, and I would have to open in Word for web. TODAY it is back to opening directly to the document, but the options at the top of the page are the same rather than the options that you normally see at the top of a Word document in the ribbon.  This is how it looks today; I do not have a screen shot of how it looked before it started opening directly again. But it was blank with these options.
dropbox1.JPG

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Rmorris8 

This seems to be the new sharing model that Dropbox are using. Note that nothing has actually changed in the file etc. and you cannot actually edit it unless you do "Open In" and choose Word Online. However, I totally agree that it looks clumsy and, well, messy.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Rmorris8 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?