cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring large video files over cellular data, not sending data twice, due to cell drops

Transferring large video files over cellular data, not sending data twice, due to cell drops

Bill C.42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I need to keep large video files (2-5 gb) sync'd between a stationary hard wired machine and a mobile laptop that is often roaming on very expensive international cellular data.  I need the files downloaded, and willing to pay for the data to send it,  but I cannot use something that would restart from scratch if the signal drops just prior to finishing that file upload.  I tried asking support and they didn't seem to understand.    Currently I use Idrive Sync and it resends all the data again if there is a signal drop. 

What does dropbox do if the signal drops just before it finishes a 5 gb upload? Does it send that same 5 gb again?  

Thanks, Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Bill C.42 

As @Hannah said it will continue sync'ing from where the connection dropped (to the nearest 4mb). Thats how the desktop client works.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Bill C.42, thanks for posting to the Dropbox Community today!

You should be able to accomplish what you want, using the Dropbox desktop application.

Even if a computer gets disconnected, syncing will just stop and then resume from where it stopped, when the computer is connected again.

It won't sync the files again from scratch.

You can read more about the application here.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bill C.42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, Hannah,   Maybe you added the wrong link?  That page didn't have any useful detail about the app or how it sync'd.  -Bill

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Bill!

The article contains info on what the Dropbox application is and how to install it.

Do you need any other info or have other questions?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bill C.42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I reread your response.   I think I need to be a bit clearer.    I under stand the files already there won't resync if the cell service drops.  My concern is if a large 4GB  file has already uploaded 90% of the file over the connection, and the connection drops, how does it handle that file?  Does it just upload the last 10% of the file after it reconnects, not reusing that expensive data, or will it have to upload the 4 GB all over again?   I cannot find anything documented about how the data transfer occurs.  I would have thought there would be a whitepaper with details.  -Bill  

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Bill C.42 

As @Hannah said it will continue sync'ing from where the connection dropped (to the nearest 4mb). Thats how the desktop client works.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Bill C.42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Mark!  That's the detail I was looking for 4mb is perfect.  Sending 4gb again would be costly, expecially if I am internationally roaming.  -Bill

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Bill C.42 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?