cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desperate for advice so I don't lose my manuscript

Trouble with syncing my book

StewartB
New member | Level 2

I could use some help. I am writing a book and the app (Scrivener) says it backs up into DropBox. I have the DropBox app on my iPad and my Mac. I worked last week at a cafe on my iPad and can see the latest chapters I wrote on my iPad. It says it is up to date on DropBox but when I try to access it on my Mac it is an older version with none of last week's changes. I went online to DropBox and it is the older version too without any updates and so I am deeply concerned at losing critical sections of my book. How do I make sure a. that all DropBox apps sync and ONLY the latest version overwrites previous ones? and b. that I have set up DropBox to work seamlessly across all my Apple devices?  I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @StewartB, thanks for joining us here on the Dropbox Community!

This probably has to do with Scrivener, not Dropbox directly, but let's see what we can do.

Can you try disconnecting Scrivener from Dropbox (from Scrivener's settings) and then reconnecting it, to see if that helps?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

StewartB
New member | Level 2

Hi Hannah, thanks for your reply. I have to admit to being very nervous disconnecting between Scrivener and DropBox until I know my manuscript is backed up. I opened up my manuscript today and it looks like I only have an old version which means months of work may have gone. Despite working on it last week (when I last posted) the version now on DropBox is a much older one. The version on my iPad might be ok BUT the files there say 'Dropbox' and then have a yellow triangle. I tried to click on one but it then said 'Project has been changed on DropBox' and option to sync now, ignore or cancel. I'm nervous to sync until I know it is the right one. I really need some help.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @StewartB, I use the desktop version of Scrivener with Dropbox. Placing the files in the Dropbox folder allows them to sync normally.

I believe the mobile version of Scrivener works in a different way, however, when compared to normal syncing.

I'd recommend checking with this page from the developers to see if it helps at all.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Terry Austin
New member | Level 2

For me, this is also a very important point, because backups are not performed regularly. And for me, this is a prerequisite for saving my work, so as not to lose access in the future. Now I'm also preparing a research project that needs this feature https://www.aresearchguide.com/1steps.html  Moreover, I move step by step and I follow the recommendations, so it's important for me to properly prepare and save each stage.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Terry Austin, sorry to see you're having this issue.

Are you also using the mobile version of both apps?

Have you checked the hyperlinked info Jay provided in his response above?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?