cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use dropbox on pc without app

Use dropbox on pc without app

Rscara
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is it still possible to use Dropbox on PC without the app by browsing the dropbox folder in windows explorer as it was before?

Dropbox app is terrible and honestly makes every workday worse than it should be

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rscara wrote:

Yes, the app has always been required, but before it would simply create a folder that you could access via windows explorer as any other folder and it worked great, now i'm stuck accessing everything only through the app.

Did you install the application from the Dropbox website, or though the Microsoft Store? If you installed the app from the store, that is a mobile app and it doesn't sync the same way as the desktop app. It also doesn't create a local Dropbox folder. You need to install the Dropbox desktop application from the website.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rscara wrote:

Is it still possible to use Dropbox on PC without the app by browsing the dropbox folder in windows explorer as it was before?

The Dropbox application has always been required. Without it, the Dropbox folder on your computer wouldn't exist and there would be no sync functionality.

If you're referring to Dropbox opening the app instead of the folder when you double click the Dropbox icon, you can change the Open folders in setting on the General tab in Dropbox Preferences.

Rscara
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, the app has always been required, but before it would simply create a folder that you could access via windows explorer as any other folder and it worked great, now i'm stuck accessing everything only through the app.

What I want is the old model back, to be able to simply access the dropbox folder through windows explorer

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rscara wrote:

Did you install the application from the Dropbox website, or though the Microsoft Store? If you installed the app from the store, that is a mobile app and it doesn't sync the same way as the desktop app. It also doesn't create a local Dropbox folder. You need to install the Dropbox desktop application from the website.

Rscara
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Found the solution. I was using "Dropbox for S Mode" which installed as standard.

Never again.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rscara New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?