cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sharing view vs edit view

What's the difference between view and edit rights?

grant_randall
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

What is the difference between view and edit access? when sharing a folder with view access can the user download the document?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @grant_randall :upside_down: 

View-access means you’re sharing a one-way, view-only copy of a file or folder. This means that the receiver of the file only has the ability view the files and does not have the option to edit. View-access only allows the receiver of the files to leave a comment or download a copy of the file.

This is because shared links (which are a view-only sharing method) don't sync on the receivers Dropbox account they don't take up place on the receivers account. If fact, sharing links with others, don't even require the other user to have a Dropbox account of their own. 

Edit-access to shared files, allows users to collaborate, as users with editing rights have the ability to edit, add, or delete content in the files or folders shared with them. 
Additionally, shared folders (which allow owners to choose if they’d like others to have edit access or view only) sync to each individuals account, who is a member of that shared folder. 
When sharing a folder with others (giving them either edit access or view only rights), the receivers will always have the ability to dowload a copy of of the files. 

Hope this helps clarify, and feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions. Happy to help! :slight_smile:

Thanks, 
Karina

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @grant_randall :upside_down: 

View-access means you’re sharing a one-way, view-only copy of a file or folder. This means that the receiver of the file only has the ability view the files and does not have the option to edit. View-access only allows the receiver of the files to leave a comment or download a copy of the file.

This is because shared links (which are a view-only sharing method) don't sync on the receivers Dropbox account they don't take up place on the receivers account. If fact, sharing links with others, don't even require the other user to have a Dropbox account of their own. 

Edit-access to shared files, allows users to collaborate, as users with editing rights have the ability to edit, add, or delete content in the files or folders shared with them. 
Additionally, shared folders (which allow owners to choose if they’d like others to have edit access or view only) sync to each individuals account, who is a member of that shared folder. 
When sharing a folder with others (giving them either edit access or view only rights), the receivers will always have the ability to dowload a copy of of the files. 

Hope this helps clarify, and feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions. Happy to help! :slight_smile:

Thanks, 
Karina

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

DerekSDSU
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Can I share a file to be edited with someone that does not have a dropbox account? I work with a lot of architects, contractors, property managers etc on numerous different properties. Not all of these people use Dropbox. I need one "God" file if you will, that a number of varied people can edit all in one place.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Derek, how are you today?

If someone is a viewer, they will only have the ability to view the files within that shared folder, and they cannot move, edit, or overwrite any of the files within the shared folder which means they can not make any changes for any other shared folder members.

However, viewers will be able to download or copy these files to their hard drive, and they can even edit the copies, if they attempt to. For example, users will be able to copy a file to their Desktop, and then edit the new copy. They will not be able to directly modify any files within the shared folder itself. This allows you to invite anyone who needs to view or edit files to a shared folder, and restrict viewers from making any changes for anyone else.

In that scenario, you would need to use shared links to folders/files and as the others won't have Dropbox accounts so you can collaborate on the said files/folders, you'd then need to open a file request from your end so they can upload the files after they have edited them locally on their computers. 

I hope this makes sense and I'm always a post away should you have any more questions! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Sharp_Grotesk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I created three folders to share with different teams. Each team only had one folder shared with them. The permissions for each folder were set to "Can edit."

These folders I created all disappeared from the location I created them in. I searched for them and all three had been moved by one of the team members to a folder that they created within a different directory tree. I didn't think they would have been able to move those folders. In fact, the person who moved them was only on one of the teams and should have only seen one of the folders.

The dirsuption this caused was unintended and no harm was done, but it is concerning. Is there a way to set permissions on shared folders so users can read and write to the folder but not to move or delete the folder? Also, how can I set permissions for a team folder so that it cannot be edited by someone not on the team?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Sharp_Grotesk; sorry for the late reply. 

When you say teams, are you referring to groups perhaps? 

Have you also gone through this Help Center article which lists the ways to manage sharing in your team if you're an admin? 

Let me know if this helped!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?