cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: When I share a folder, will all sub-folders be shared (accessible) as well?

When I share a folder, will all sub-folders be shared (accessible) as well?

Scott B.58
New member | Level 1

Basically, I have a shared folder with sub-folders (and they have sub-folders). If I share the "folder" will all sub folders and their sub-folders (and associated documents) also be shared?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Alexis G.1
Super User

Yes.

If you have a folder named folderX and inside this folder you have folder1, folder2 and folder3, all users with access to folderX will have access to Folder1,2 and 3 and the contents of all this folders.

Subfolders inherit permissions from the top folder.

Scott B.58
New member | Level 1

Awesome. Thanks Alexis!

Mel K.
New member | Level 2

Alexis,

I am pretty new to Dropbox for Business so please overlook my newbie question.  Even though subfolders inherit permissions from the upper level folder, are you referring to Viewer, Editor, and Owner or Read vs Read/Write or something else.

The way I want to structure the company's documents would be easiest in a tree structure but some folders need to be private to a segment of the users, and some accessible by all.

The way the documents are structured now is a flat hierarchy with access to each document thru links.  This is very cumbersome and requires too much maintenance of the links as things change.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mel

Mark
Super User II

are you referring to Viewer, Editor, and Owner or Read vs Read/Write or something else. 

All. 

It is not possible to alter child folders (in Alexis's example that would be folder1, folder2 etc) properties independently of parent. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mel K.
New member | Level 2

Ok.  That's too bad but I'll figure out how to live with it.  Thank you for the reply.

Alexis G.1
Super User

@Mel:

Why you don't create different shares.

For example: a share for accounting department, a share for legal department, a share por HR, a share for IT, a share for sales, etc.

Richard I.3
New member | Level 1

@Mel K:

I share your disappointment. I wish you could share with additional users in the subfolders that are not present in the main folder. The ability to do this would help with simplifying folder organization.

Mel K.
New member | Level 2

We have different top level folders (I think you mean shares) for the administrative functions, but we have about 120 groups and committees that should have restricted access to their members.  Having one share for those groups and committees simplifies the dropbox but is difficult otherwise. Also, then, each group can access the files of the other groups which we don't want.  I guess the root of the problem is that there are just too many top level folders.  Or, am I missing something?

Need more support?